Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

water logged red submarine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water logged red submarine!

ok my buddy and i went out netting some whitefish lastnight and submerged the red beast. i was actually really surprised that they float!
as of now i have the bike in my heated garage with the following ripped open and off.....the airbox, carb, exhaust (pain in the ***!!), tank. the following has been drained....the oil/tranny, diffs, seat, oh and the passenger storage/seat...lol.

am i missing anything. first time ripping into a quad. i have sunk a few of my 2stroker sleds....this is a little diff! any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Did you get a bunch of dirty water into the crank case?

If so, I'm afraid that fully tearing down the motor for cleaning before starting it would be my suggestion.

You may also still have water in the cylinder, which could hydrolock the motor and possibly bend the rod if you were to try to start it. Pull the spark plug, and turn it over. If it's been sitting for a while, any water that may have been in the cylinder likely seeped past the rings and ended up in the crank case.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your flooded motor.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definetly pull the plug, and fill it with oil first. then crank it over so that hopefully you dont end up with any rust on the rings or anything. I did it to mine so as long as you were not sitting there cranking it with it flooded you should be alright

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for the info and the welcome Jeff.
as for the plug pulled and turning it over, i did that...funny story as well. oh and its my buddies bike. anyhow, i pulled the plug out and inspected the topend with a trebble light, all looked good so i proceeded to the next step...pull it over. well i forgot the trebble light over the hole..ON....as i pulled it over the cold water shot out of the cylinder hitting the bulb...KABOOM! all the while my buddy (who owns the bike and is new to the wrenching end of atving) is standing over the motor having a good look! scared the crap out of him...."what the hell was that"! i recall him saying...lol...then we get my wife out to have a look at "something". i tell her "watch this" while she is standing beside bike, i pull it over spraying her with water....needless to say, she didnt find it as funny as we did.

as for the dirt...there was just a little bit of sediment in the water....no mud. and it didnt sit long...2-3 hours untill i tore it open.

thanks for the input! am i forgeting anything else b4 i fire this red submarine back up?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If there is sediment still in the motor, there is risk of damaging a bunch of parts if it isn't all cleaned out of the motor.

If you are going to try running it w/o tearing it apart first, I'd leave the drain plug out and pour in some oil thinned with diesel and let it run right out.

Then when it has fresh oil and filter in it, run it very briefly and change it again.

Still, if it were mine I'd take it apart before running it at all, since that's the only way to know there isn't any sediment or grit still inside the engine. A gasket set and some rings now might save ruined bearings, crank, transmission later.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've sunk mine a couple times now, funny before I installed the snorkle I never sunk it, now that I have one I've sunk it 2-3 times pushing the limit!!!

First thing to do like mentioned is pull the plug and turn it over to get water out of the cylinder. It doesnt hurt to put a little oil back in there. Next you drain the airbox and take off the filter to let it dry. Next you need to find the drain valve on the carb, its usually a small flat screw on one side of the carb, you'll need a 1/8" blade screwdriver to open it and the bowl will drain through the drain hose. If no gas/water comes out take the drain hose off and try again, sometimes they get plugged with dirt. Note: if the switch on the gas tank is on, you'll be draining fuel until the tank runs dry. Turn that swith off and you will be draining the carb only. The motor oil will have to be changed at least 4-5 times to get all the water out. Just as well to do the first one now. Reinstall the airfilter and spark plug turn the fuel on and make sure the carb drain valve is closed. The bike should start, may run like crap for a bit but it should pan out. If not the carb might have to come off and be taken anpart to be cleaned properly. Let the bike get warm then shut off and change the oil again. Repeat this 4-5 times until the oil does not look cloudy or milky after runnign it. On your last change change the oil filter too. Once the bike is back to normal, add a 1/2 small bottle of gas line antifreeze and fill the tank. This will prevent probelems if there's any water mixed with the gas in the tank.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have heard of ppl having that happen and cleaning the motor by filling it full with diesel but then u have to get the diesel all out every bit by draining it then filling it full with oil and doing that 2 times costly but probly worth it.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I've heard of people who flushed out several times with diesel and oil, and a few tanks of gas later the machine is knocking, tapping, and smoking.

I think the flush thing is OK if you are sure you only got water in the crankcase.

If there's any sand or sediment in there dumping the fluid several times might not get it out, especially if it's been run before the fluid change when grit would get pushed in behind bearings and stuff.