Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex electrical help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex electrical help?

2002 400ex.
I started it up and was running, turned around to start my girlfriends quad and mine shut off. Went to start it back up and didnt have a neutral light. I verified that it was in neutral, still no light. Key in ON position. No headlights, wont crank even with clutch in. I put a brand new, fully charged battery in eariler that day. Hooked my jumper pack up to battery, key on, no neutral light, no headlights, and still wont crank. Battery is still fully charged.
I dont want to take it to a shop just yet, any help would be appreciated. Any electrical components I could check, or swap out to correct problem?

Thanks in advance,
Higgy

Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 AM
The Facility

Sounds as if you have a bad connection at least on one battery terminal. Sometimes just tightening it down isn't enough even with a new battery if the cable ends have any corrosion. Try loosening the terminals from the battery just enough to wiggle it a bit to clean the terminal and tighten it back down and see what you have.
It sounds as if your battery replacement earlier that day does relate to your problem and the only things to take loose on the EX to do that would be those two cables.

In the liklihood that isnt the case, take your jumper pack and place the ground lead to the frame of the quad and the positive lead to the solenoid switch (on the post the positive battery lead is connected to and NOT the starter lead). Now see if you have a green light with the key on.
If no,...your problem lies elsewhere and not related to the battery. If it does light, you have a dead battery or bad connections.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Pull your back fenders off and on the left side there next to, I think its the rev box, is a small fuse plug. Has spots for 2 fuses, 1 in use and one extra. Check that fuse. Mine used to blow it because of a bare wire going to the headlights. Once its blown you will not get any power too anything.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a classic blown fuse. The starter and headlights are on the fused circuit. It should still bump start, even without the fuse.

The headlight wires on the EX are vulnerable to getting pinched and shorting out. Look in that area for a frayed wire.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Guys,
I wire brushed my battery contacts and the starter relay contacts, cleaned them with contact cleaner and applied lithium grease to them. Checked that fuse and it was good. Reconnected everything, turned the key on and the neutral light came on! I fired it up and ran fine. However, while i was sitting there letting it warm up I noticed the neutral light blinking, but it stayed running. I will trace the wires to the neutral light and the headlights tomorrow before work and let you know what I find. Thanks again for the help!