Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Replacement Tires for TRX250EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Tires for TRX250EX

I just picked up my sons new Honda TRX250EX. Any suggestions on a replacement tires for the rear. I want something a little wider that would give him a little more stability on corners. It can sit a little lower as well if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

PS...just seeing his face when I brought it home was priceless...

Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
The Facility

Congrats on your purchase.
Although not a downfall, the handling of this machine isn't what it should be for a sportquad. Part of it due to the baloon shaped rear tires that come from the factory. Massive amounts of unsprung weight due to the shaft drive is the other. Tires are the biggest improvement you could make and would help in both areas. You want to find a lightweight tire with a stiff sidewall.

The Maxxis Razr,..STILL is the number one selling sport quad tire on the market for that very reason. LOTS of copies are out there and do well, and for a much lower price but the sidewalls are VERY distinct between brands. Most riders, other than racers, never bother looking into this. The ITP Holeshots are also good but sometimes questionable in puncture resistance in all but there cross country line of tires,...which are heavier and is opposite of what you are looking for. Hope this helps some.
20x11-9 is the standard.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer

My wife has the 2006 model. These are good quads!! Something I would suggest is to drop the tire size to a 20. The trx250ex feels a bit top heavy to me and the lower height seems to help a bit. definately some holeshot inova or razors are a good idea!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about the best tire's to get for your son's new sport quad , because i don't own a sport quad the closest i've come to a sport quad was a 1993 Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ FIS with a 5 speed foot shift geared transmission ; and the multiplle - disc semi - auto clutch that's ingauged and disingauged by the foot shifter !

In between the fuel tank and seat were 3 shift levers : The far left side was the shift lever for : 2x4 , 4x4 and 4x4 Diff. Lock . In the middle : The Reverse shift lever . And the far right side : The Sub Trans. shift lever : High , Low , Super Low ! ....

My cousin bought the KQ 2 week's before the Blizzard of 1993 , after his death in late 99' it was given to his youngest brother ; then traded to my brother who traded it to me !

It had the original set of Dunlops tire's size were : 25x10x12" Rear and 25x8x12" Front , the KQ only had 1700 miles on it when i got it ; at least 1000 miles were driven on paved or hard packed dirt road's so i thought the Dunlops were a good tire !

That's why i put them on my 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 , tihe original tire's on the Foreman ? ( Were A Joke )

I don't remember the Brand but they were the worst set of tire's i have ever seen , when they were new there was less than 1/2' thread's i bought it from the original owner when it had just over 20 hrs.on it !

The Original Tire Size on the Foreman were :25x10x11" Front And Rear !

I looked at a new 1988' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 that the local Honda Dealer had on the show room floor and it had the same sick lookin tire's , they looked like you could get stuck in a small mud puddle ; but i was wrong about them even with the slcks on the 86' Foreman it would go through some of the swampiest land where i went riding with my cousin's near their home !

But after i put a new set of Dunlops on the Foreman , it was almost unstoppable and i rode a few times over paved road's to get to the trail's we would ride ; but i tried to avoid pavement at all cost even if i had to straddle ditch's to do so !

( The Size of The Dunlops i put on the Foreman were : 25x10x11" Rear and 25x8x11" Front They made the steering easier also )

The Dunlops held up good for me , when i sold the Foreman to my brother in Nov. 2005 they still had at least 3/4's of the thread still on them ; and i never had to fix a flat as long as i had them !

My brother would ride over 2 miles over the paved road from our house , to ride some woods and power line's every day for the first year he had it ; and just about a month ago he was racing our nefew's 98' Yamaha 350 Wolfverine 4x4 !

And the old Foreman Jumped time but according to , my nefew and my brother's wife the Foreman was ahead for almost the whole 2 mile race ; but our nefew hadn't been riding atv's less than a year so he didn't have the experious that my brother has !

I kept telling my brother to change the oil ,oil filter and clean and reoil the air filter , he kept telling me i'll do it tomorrow ; he changed the oil and oil filter 2 or 3 times that i know of !

And i don't think he removed the air filter once since he bought it from me if he did he never told me about it , but even if you don't do any mod's on your atv be it sport are ute above all keep them maintained ; that's what i kept telling my brother to keep up the maintaince !

I believe if he had done the sevicing of the quad like i did he might not have blown it , but it's to late to tell him now i guess sometimes we have to learn the hard way ; he still has the 93' KQ i sold him for his wife to ride and i think he'll take better care of it ! ........

Old 11-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wider rims with a greater offset will give you the best increase in stability. Mabybe ITP T-9's, if she isn't going to be to rough on them (should end up about +3" in the rear, and +2" in front).

Keep the stock rims for a set of paddle tires, and run wheel spacers with them for a wider track....if you live near some dunes.

I put ITP TrakStar radials on ours, and it really improves the ride!!! The secret here is RADIALS, 22" front/20" rear.