Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

advice on purchuse of used honda rancher

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on purchuse of used honda rancher

A guy at work has a 05 honda rancher AT 4x4 it has 10 hrs and 100 miles. He says that he does not have a place to ride any more and he just wants what he owes $3000 even. I dont know much about atvs and my kids want one. Would that be a good deal ?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

well im not up on rancher prices but with that few hours/miles it sounds like a good deal to me

but i dont know if thats a good kids quad especially for a first deluge into powersports. I admit I got my polaris 325 wen I was 11 and my wolverine when I was 14 but I had also been riding dirtbikes since first grade.

How old what gender are your kids? also what areas do you have to ride? what types of trails?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

It seems like a good deal,I have a 05 Rancher and really love it,wife likes it
better then the 07 Rancher we have.You should be happy with it!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll be on the back with them and we will be riding in sugar sand and in the muck on private land . I really was not looking for one at this time but this is hard to pass up. We took a vote on lockers for the jeep or atv . I lost to my girls and the Atv is in.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks coyote I was just looking for a nudge.Ive only been reseaching atvs and the rancher for a couple of days and the only thing lacking is ground clearance and selectable lockers for front

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda only made the AT for a couple of years, and now it is discontinued. Not quite sure what that is telling us???? It has a reputation for being underpowered on the low end. The automatic trans is hydrostatic, and is not serviceable either by the owner or the dealer (you just have to get a whole new one if something goes wrong).

The front axle is torque sensing and does a good job, so don't obsess about it not having lockers. Quads are a lot different from trucks or Jeeps in many respects.

You mentioned ground clearance. The Ranchers are trail quads, plain and simple. Folks get them because they are the right price, then try to turn them into monster mud boggers....which I think is a big mistake and just ruins the quads sweet handling.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

My only advice is what My father told me many years ago. When you buy a used anything from someone private. Go to there home, look at there yard, house, garage and other vehicles and from that you can really tell if the car/truck/atv/motorcycle/boat etc... was taken care of.

But if you know the person, and it has such low miles. I dont see how you can go wrong... Go to NADA to get a idea of cost. Just and idea.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Go to there home, look at there yard, house, garage and other vehicles and from that you can really tell if the car/truck/atv/motorcycle/boat etc... was taken care of. </end quote></div>
LOL Thats what I do, I never bought a new Truck(3),motorcycle(4),Sled(5) and 3 ATVs. Not one of them was a lemon.

Any ATV with a 100 miles is probably good ,ever riding a ATV hard for 100 should not hurt anything.

I bought a 05 F -150 for $27,000 with 8,000 miles on it,the truck new in Canada is worth $42,000. I think of it as a person paying me $15000 to drive it for 8000 miles, Well you sure can.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

Have you ever drove up to a home and then just drive off without even looking at the item you was trying to buy? Its unreal how people will try to make you believe they took "GREAT" care of something when there Gutter is hanging off the house, two broke down mowers in the yard (tall grass) and 3 motorcycles with no wheels laying in the drive way next to a rusted BBQ grill! Ill never forget that day I was with my father and he had just purchased a 68 camaro, I Was going to buy a 67 camaro for 7 grand back about 10 years ago.

The paper read and I quote "Responsible Driver/owner, well maintained!!!"
Humans are funny...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:48 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

In the case of only having 100miles on this ATV,I would say even a red neck hillbilly could not do much to it even if he never maitain anything or did a oil change.

Quick Reply: advice on purchuse of used honda rancher