Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

i rode my atv all day long and it ran badass. it is a 2007 honda 400 4x4. my wife used it to ride to the mailbox and back and parked it. an our later i had to run to the pasture and when i turned it on the ESP light kept blinking 12 times. i cant realy drive it either because it feels like there is a parking brake on. it rolls fine in neutral but seems like the tranny is locked and it doesn't matter if i switch it to auto or ESP it does the same thing. no symptoms of a progressing problem or anything. All day it ran great and then bam i turn it on and this happens. its pretty new i bought it 6 months ago brand new and it has 400 miles on it w/ regular scheduled maint. any ideas??????

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would call a service tech and tell him the light is blinking 12 times. that is a code that the techs use to diagnose the issue.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks. they said it is probably an angle sensor. i get to see how hard that is to replace i guess. i hope thats it and i'm not wasting any money trying to troubleshoot

Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is funny, a 12 flash code has to do with the control motor driver circuit
ECM connection, shift motor connection, blown fuse etc...
Angle sensor would also trip another code on your dash
A code 5 is angle sensor (motor lock)
A code 6 is angle sensor (swash plate angle)

I don't think a angle sensor will cure the problem, dude...

EDIT:

I was thinking about your issues while changing motors on my sprint tonight.
Try this:
With the unit in neutral, ignition off, depress and hold both up and down shift buttons
While holding them in turn on the ignitioin, let off both shift buttons and within a few seconds push both shift buttons again at the same time.
The gear indicator on the dash should display and flash "--" if it flashes "N" you did not get into diagnostic mode. Repeat steps above again
Once in the "--" flash mode, hold both up and downshift buttons again (This should erase the codes. This may have to be done a few times to get rid of all the stored codes. When cleared the "--" will flash once, a few second pause, flash once again etc...
If it does not stop flashing 12 code, inspect the shift motor wire connectors and ECM connectors (Ecm is unside the right rear wheel opening)
Once the codes have been cleared here is what I suggest because it has not been done at the dealer.
Adjust the fuel air mixture screw on the carb at an idle
Ride the unit ahead about 5 feet and turn it off in neutral
Now simular to above to get into the diagnostics, unit in neutral, key off, hold both up and downshift buttoms in, key on, let off buttons, within a few seconds push the upshift button and let off, push the downshift button, let off, sweep the throttle lever wide open and let off.
You should hear the shift control motor cycle back and forth and when complete the "N" indicator will display on the gearshift indicator on the dash.
This will set you up for the next step in which only yhe 400AT needs to be done to completely initialize your quad and insure proper shifting characteristics.
Raise the rear of the unit, support it securely and remove both rear wheels
Switch the selector switch to ESP Mode and select 2WD for the drive switch
Unit in neutral, depress both up and down shift switches and while holding them turn the ignition on, let off and depress the shift switches in this order, up, up, down, down. The gear indicator should start to flash "N", "--", "N", "--" repeaditly. When the dispaly is in this mode, start the unit, hold the front brake, shift into drive and then upshift to 5th gear. Once in 5th gear slowly accelerate to 21 mph and hold it there. When the display stops flashing "5", "--", "5", "--" ... and stays "5", shift back down to 1st gear, shift to neutral and turn the ignition switch off. Reinstall the rear wheels and enjoy your quad as it will be fully reprogrammed.

Here is a few other notes:
-Do not do the initialization I mentioned above with the rear wheels on. The extra weight changes the swash plate angle and will make the ECM remember the wrong resistance values and the unit may not reset or shift properly when rode.
-Do not start your quad while in drive, holding the brake levers. The ECM will automatically stay in failsafe mode and the unit will not shift or will act like it is pulling a bulldozer behind it. Always start the unit in neutral.

Hope this helps you

----- Gregg -----

Do not at any time start the quad by holding the brakes with it in gear

----- Gregg -----