Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400rancher AT need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400rancher AT need help

i have a 04 honda rancher 400at with 7223mls. my problem is i keep getting this chattering sound coming from the engine , it happens whene im in manual or auto , for exp, I can be going down a strait away while in manual and get up to 4th gear and give it gas and it just starts making this chattering sound almost as if the valves where loose but there not ,and the same goes for being in auto at certin speed hit the throttle and it happens again this also does this going up hills any of u have an idea or has this happen to any one else realy could use the info. dealership seems to say its normal but i say there something wrong .

thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the oil level is full and it is still giving you the problem, it is most likely the centrifical clutch and drum

----- Gregg -----

Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gimpster

If the oil level is full and it is still giving you the problem, it is most likely the centrifical clutch and drum

----- Gregg -----</end quote></div>

I agree, when the oil level is even a little bit low it does the same on mine. I top it up and the problem goes away.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey gregg thanks for this info but i just had my had all that repaired already so i cant see it being that because its not slipping like it was before and it made that noise even after i got it back from being repaird i was thinking something of the line of maybe the chain tensioner or some thing like that because the noise comes from the top right side of the engiine to me, i just dont know what to do

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Good, your pump/tranny isn't cavitating.
Another thing you can check into is if your rocker arms and shafts are not worn.
The valves can be tight but with this wear they will still clatter

----- Gregg -----

Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. I puchased a 2006 Honda 400 AT last year and I am having issues with it jumping into a high gear when I am in auto while taking off slowly. It happens all the time but just started a few months ago. If I take off fast I have no problems. It only happens on take off. It starts to go then kicks into high gear and slows to a stop. once I release the gas I hear the switcher switch a few time to get back into firtst gear. If I then take off slowly again the same thing will happen. This really is a problem if you are going over somthing that you need to creep over. I brought it to Honda and the techs are unsure what is causing it to shift up so quickly. Any thoughts

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey gregg thanks for the info ill have to check that out now ii know what the rocker arms are but what do u mean by shafts. thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

The shaft is what the rockers pivot on. It is are replaceable. Sorry if I said shafts. Sometimes I have a problem typing

----- Gregg -----

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok sounds good gregg . boy u realy seem to know u stuff how long u been a registered honda pro wrench?. well if i have any more questions hope u dont mind me asking could always use some good advice . thanks again

Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Been with Honda dealerships since 86

I believe I was one of the first 20 in the new Pro Wrench system

----- Gimp -----