Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding on roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last year i was a senior in high school and decided that a couple of freinds and i would ride our quads to school. we got there with no problem but when we tried to leave there were 3 sheriffs waiting for us. i asked what was wrong and they said " nothing untill you ride those 4wheelers" so a friend took me to go get my truck so i could load up the quad. when i got home i called the sheriff's office and asked about riding on roads.

I WAS TOLD THAT UNDER NO CERCIMSTANCED WAS I ALLOWED TO RIDE ON ANY ROADS. NOT TO EVEN CROSS A ROAD.
however the sherrifs around here are ok with it just as long as i am not causing any problems.
paul

Old 01-15-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for Indiana,but Michigan appears to have a 2 sided law.No ATVs on the road under any condition,however,its ok for law enforcement guys to ride the city roads.How can they do that and why the exception?Is that not also like saying ''do as I say,not as I do''?Yes they have the horn,police lights,brake lights,mirror,but I still think it's setting a very poor example?
Bill

Old 01-15-2001, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

Anybody know the laws for Ohio?

Old 01-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

Well for the 15 year old that asked you have to be 16 just to buy the quad(honda)18 for polaris. I would say you have to be 16 to get it registered in your name. And for places to ride you can go to Lenville, it is near Evensville, if i am right Harrison is south to me. so you could go to land between the lakes sometimes. If any of your buddies have at least 10-20 acres you could make your own trails and jumps. Thats where i do most of my riding on my dad's land or cousin's land.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hondamanmeyers,

The information I obtained from Ohio's Bureau of motor vehicles states the following about ATV"S and Snowmobiles.

APV's and snowmobiles may be used:
1) To cross a highway, other than a limited access highway or freeway
2) on county and township highways whenever approved by those having jusidictional authority over them
3) off and alongside streets and highways from the place of unloading the vehicle to the place at which it is intended and authorized to be used.
4) On the berm or shoulder of any highway, other than a limited access highway, or freeway when the terrain is such that the vehicle can be used safely
5) On the berm or shoulder of a county or township road when traveling from one area of operation to another.

I hope this answers your question. You can probably get a copy of these rules from the licensing bureau in your county.

Jeff

Old 01-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

i believe those are recomondations. and come on, who is 15 that buys their own quad? unless it is used...

we all know that the age recomondations are blown way out of proportion.

Old 01-16-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

In Ohio ir all depends on where you are at. I live in an extremely rural area and talked to many officers on the phone and face to face and I allways got the same general answer, which was "don't ride like an ***, and stay to the side of the road and keep it slow, and you will have no problem" I even got pulled over by a sherrif while riding to my friends house (on my 400ex) and he complimented my quad. Turns out he was an avid quad rider. Oh, and they all said it is important to have an off-road registration sticker with a number plate easily visible.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

I own a 99 honda recon and I am only 14 , one day I was riding my pimped out recon down a road in weare NH dragracing my friend all day . At the end of the day my friend decicided to take all the guts out of his stock pipe so it was just a megaphone . It was so loud that a cop that was driving down the road herd it so he came down to see what was going on he pulled us over and told us that it was a little too loud and to fix it , We were puilling wheelies and doing donuts in the middle of the road and he just sat there and egged us on he didnt even care <good cop have another donut> cops can b cool (sometimes)

Old 01-16-2001, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

what are the rules for getting your quad road ready in indiana(licences plate, brake light,id #'s??) and how old do u have to be.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Well for the guy who thinks a 15 year old can't buy a quad? I bought my 1999 300 fortrax 2x4 right after i turned 16, then the next year i sold it and bought a 2001 400ex red, paid for both with my own money in full cash. I also am in 2 sports, and have to weight lift for them all year. Any 15 year old can buy his own quad brand new if the work at it. Sorry if this sounded like a bashing forum, but i am just saying anyone can buy a quad new.

Quick Reply: Riding on roads