Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon trouble code 10

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon trouble code 10

I own a '04' Rubicon (TRX 500 FA) and recently I lost all sorts of power. I checked the trouble codes and I get a code 10. ECM ? How costly is this thing and what do you have to do to replace it ? The manual I have doesn't get into any ECM stuff.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We just had a conversation a bit down the page about trouble code 10.

Rubicon transmission thread

That should give you a few things to try.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to the thread on the Rubicon trouble code 10. I checked all my connections, installed my a friends ECM(same year Rubicon) and it did the same thing. I banged the old one around a little and put it back in. Now I turn it on and the N and the D2 blink 5 times and then stay on. I don't get the trouble code any more, but when I start it, it seems like it loses the connection with the battery for a split second and then starts. I have a Warn plow on it. Could it be the plow relay that is causing this problem ? All connections are good and tight. I know Warn had a recall for the 8 post relays, but the dealer said mine wasn't one of the recalled models. Any ideas ?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What wire is your small red power wire to the winch tapped into ?
I hope they did not tap into the pink wire in the ignition switch harness.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the small red wire and it is tapped directly into the battery. I just replaced the Warn winch solenoid and put a new battery in the Rubicon. Checked the trouble codes and had none. I ran it for about an hour of plowing, and then it started doing the same thing again. Checked the codes and got code 6. Angle sensor? Pulled the sensor out, checked it with an ohm meter, had the correct resistance on the outside terminals, but when I checked the center to outside terminal and rotate the center thing on the sensor, it is suppoed to go from 0 to 1800/2400 ohms. Mine started at 5400ohms and kept going up. I think it will be replaced. I think this will be my next step. Suggestions??

Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

It may be outranging the shift control motor if it is out of spec. Trying to make it turn the swash too far causing a load on the motor tripping a 10 code ? Hmmm
I normally watch for smoothness in range as the center pin is tested. If the reading jumps around while doing the test instead of smooth climb, then I condem the angle sensor. Otherwise I will initialize the unit so it remembers the angle sensors range. I believe the range of the sensor should be between 1500 and 2500 ohms when they are good, if memory serves me right.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the 01-03 manual. It says angle sensor should range from 0 to 1.6k-2.4k as you move it.

It also says you can check the input voltage on the harness after unhooking the angle sensor. 4.5 to 5.3v w/key on.

Anyway, with yours that far out of range, I wonder if gimpster is right and it is causing the ECM to try to run the shift motor past its range of travel...

Sounds like replacing angle sensor and doing the initialization procedure would be a logical thing to try.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so I replaced the angle sensor, put it all back together and now I can't get the wheeler to go through the initialization process. I do it like the manual says, but when I get to the part where you are supposed to hear the control motor cycle, or make a buzz sound, all it does is click. I tried resetting the trouble codes again and basically starting from the beginning. and it just won't go. I'm stumped.
Tom

Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Are any codes appearing ?

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

the only code I get is code 6.