Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 mystery oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 mystery oil problem

Photo of oil filter and oil from a *new* 420 with less then 5 hours on the engine. Bike was returned to the dealer who exchanged it for a new crated 420. Dealer never did give a reason as to what happened.

[img] /http://www.tehamashooters.net/oilfilter.jpg [img]

Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably a factory f-up. Or it might have gotten water into it at some point in transport.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

When I checked the oil after riding it the first day it felt very gritty and appeared somewhat cloudy. I was shocked to see the condtion of the filter. All fluid levels were normal including the coolant. One explanation I received was that the engine was never allowed to warm up at the dealers showroom causing condensation to form inside the crankcase. Since the oil had a 'green' tint to it I'm wondering if it was coolant that leaked into the oil but why the black oil filter?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It would take a long time to build up enough condensation to make contamination that visible.

Did you ride anywhere near mud or water during those 5 hours? Could it have been delivered with a vent hose off? Something like that could have let in a bunch of muddy water, or soapy water from washing it.

Though it's hard to say from looks, but I'd guess that the oil is contaminated by something more than plain water... Coolant or fuel would be the other possibilities. Sending a sample in to blackstone or one of the other labs would tell the tale.

Anyway, glad the dealer took care of you.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Range Rover

Negative on riding thru water, bike was only ridden on dry land, no water anwhere nor was it washed prior to the oil change. It was originally un-crated and assembled for the showroom floor in February but not sold until October (to me). Why it sat on the showroom floor for so long before being sold is unknown. DMV registration did not indicate it was ever sold except to me. After seeing the oil and the almost black oil filter the dealer (long time Honda dealer) made good and exchanged the bike pronto.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice that they gave you a new machine! Even the best manufacturers can come up with a lemon once in a while.....

Another good reason to do an early oil change!!! If you would have gone a year before an oil change like most people do, no way they would have honoured your warranty.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD
Though it's hard to say from looks, but I'd guess that the oil is contaminated by something more than plain water... Coolant or fuel would be the other possibilities. Sending a sample in to blackstone or one of the other labs would tell the tale.
Anyway, glad the dealer took care of you.</end quote></div>

I guess I'll never know till I send off a sample to Blackstone Labs, my gut feeling is that coolant leaked into the crankcase and the coolant tank was topped off prior to delivery during final inspection.

Then there's the disgruntled ex-empoyee theory but that would not explain why the dipstick oil level was normal.....? I dunnno, just dunno....

Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well the important thing is that Honda took care of you and gave you a new machine, so figuring out what happened to that one is SEP (Someone Else's Problem).

Better luck with this one.

Also, I agree with Reconranger in that had you not pulled the oil early, the dealer might not have been so quick to replace the machine with no questions.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Nice that they gave you a new machine! Even the best manufacturers can come up with a lemon once in a while.....

Another good reason to do an early oil change!!! If you would have gone a year before an oil change like most people do, no way they would have honoured your warranty.</end quote></div>

I totally agree on the early oil change, easy to do and not expensive. I had the bike in my possession less then 8 days before emailing photos of the oil and filter to the dealer. At no time did they ever suggest the problem might have been caused by me, the filter looked as though it had been removed from an engine that was full of thick, black sludge. The dealer did the right thing and bent over backwards to resolve the problem. I'm just curious as to what went wrong?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD
Well the important thing is that Honda took care of you and gave you a new machine, so figuring out what happened to that one is SEP (Someone Else's Problem).

Also, I agree with Reconranger in that had you not pulled the oil early, the dealer might not have been so quick to replace the machine with no questions.</end quote></div>

You know the bike ran fine, had plenty of power and not a single problem. The only clue I had was that the oil felt a bit too gritty for so few hours. Being a oil change junkie I had no problem deciding to drain the crankcase but when I saw that black filter my jaw dropped to the floor!

Quick Reply: 420 mystery oil problem