Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV's on snowmobile trails

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode about 350 miles or so most of it was feild riding so doing about 80 mph or higher most of the time. I know on the groomed trails this is speeding by alot but hey what the heck . In gas alone i figured it out this morning and it was 82.00 bucks for a day of riding and oil was 14 bucks. The new sleds just eat up the fuel. Sure it is fun and all but I think the quad and a street bike is as much fun if not more.

Maybe if i win a million I'll get back into sleding but not till then.

Have a good one.
erion

I'm north of windsor by about 2 1/2hrs

Old 01-14-2001, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Thor, no I am not sorry I sold my sled. I have a friend with a "spare" Formula 583 DLX, who invites me sledding all the time. In fact, we are going to Jackman ME in a couple weeks. When my kids get a little older I will probably buy a couple new sleds, its just hard taking off every weekend to find decent conditions(sometimes 300mi), when you have a wife and two small children. Most years thats what you have to do around here to make owning a sled worth while. My point about the argument, is I don't think Quads ridden responsibly do any more to ruin trails than hiperformance sleds. That is provided the people on quads give the trails time to pack, and don't ride on fresh snow.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Up here in Maine ATV rider's get a $500 fine for being on a "marked" trail system, unless you have written land-owner permission or an emergency. So we rip around the lakes were there are no laws.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Here's an update guys: I went riding with my wife today and the ATV trails were aweful! Two sets of 8" deep ruts. All I could do was give it a bit of gas and follow the tracks. Top speed was about 20 mph...the crappiest conditions I have seen all year. I went on trails that were used by both ATV's and sleds and they too were all eaten up. I have a hard time believing that even high powered sleds can ruin a trail like an ATV can...

Got home and jumped on the Doo. Trails were amazing and could finally get some adreneline pumping. The Scrambler is gonna stay in the garage a while...

Old 01-15-2001, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I know of only one county in Wisconsin that allows ATV's to ride their trails, and that's Langlade. If you would get caught on another trail, you would be hung for sure.

Old 01-15-2001, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

I too Have both sleds and fourwheelers. I personaly think, sleds ruin the trails faster then quads. Yes i knowmost of you will say Im wrong. But where i live in central Wi we have both sleds and quads on the same trails. And what I see are huge trenches dug out by the sleds. yes it get rutted up by quads to but not half as bad. If sledders would drive more reasonable. It would be the other way around. But around here they all want to be the next blair morgan and shott from corner to corner leaving huge *** rutts. Just my thoughts
matty

Old 01-15-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

We ride on the Timberline ATV trail in PA. I was out this weekend. Along with about 30-40 atv's, there was about 10 sleds. I don't believe that sleds are really allowed on the trail ( all they do is turn the trail to ice) but everyone got along. I wasn't too impressed with them ripping around so fast, but hey, at the end of the day everyone had a good time. We can co-exist.
Now, my point is, why should a sled that is capable of running alot faster than a 4 wheeler in the snow and does tear up the path, be allowed on the trail when we aren't allowed to venture on their trails in the summer? This is a BIG mystery to me. Why can't we ride the snowmobile trails, our money also goes towards the trail up keep. THis isn't right

Old 01-15-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

You forgot one thing though, a snowmobile can also ruin a ATV trail. I don't like ice. Every part of the trail that a snowmobile has rode on, it's ice now. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-15-2001, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

I think we should all get sleds, join
snowmobile clubs and get them to see
the error of their ways. We CAN share
trails, it's a myth they do no damage.
They've been around longer and are more
organized. Here in New York they get money
from the state for their trails. But we
get nothing and the state has taken over
$6,000,000 from ATV registrations with
$0.00 returned. That's why I belong to
aN ATV club and we're trying to get a
state law to get some trails.

Old 01-15-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

girthguy,
im with you on this one.I also feel like you do.You ever seen what a studded up sled can do to the trails?In fact in Michigan,the sleds can ride the right side shoulder of allmost every county and forest road.
Try that on a ATV and see what kind of fine you get?Sleds are as bad if not worse to the trailheads than the ATVs,

Bill
Bill

Quick Reply: ATV's on snowmobile trails