Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

are the older trx250rs any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are the older trx250rs any good

Are they any good for trail riding and if so are they pretty reliable and easy to work with?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

the real question would be are any of the newer bikes as good as the old trx250rs!

the trx250r was the standard for sport quad excellence for well over 15 or so years. in many ways it still is a measuring stick. but to answer your question, well, it can do trails especially if they are the faster variety; i didnt have any problems in some tight technical stuff other than its just not the bike for it, and due to the low ground clearnce will get hung up. its really isnt a trail machine if you had to classify it. reliability is first rate. once called bulletproof and rated #1 for used quads. they are easy to work with- tons of aftermarket stuff -and they are easy to work on if you every need to. the best thing about them is the excellent pwr to weght ratio, the near perfect balance, and the handling. no bike handles like a 250r; the closest one in production today is the YFZ450; yamaha made no secret that they 'extensively studied' the trx250r when they developed it. if only honda had done the same. sad to say they kinda missed the mark with the 450r, imo. yes i have a 450R and am saying that. the 450 is a good bike and handles well, but it will never be a legend like its predecessor. not as good or balanced as the 250R. if i sold one of mine, the 450 is out the door before the 250.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Whats the top speed on a 250r with just a pipe and filter, im also considering a banshee. My main things it good handling and being able to control the bike. then relability which it sounds like it is! do you think the 250r can keep up with yfz450's raptors and other quads on the trails?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

anyone??

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

the 250 is a 2 stroke so you can mod this beast till it will pull the wheels out from under the frame. there is NO better quad than a 250r, imo!!!! almost anyone would give a shee for a 250r!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Whats the top speed on a 250r with just a pipe and filter, im also considering a banshee. My main things it good handling and being able to control the bike. then relability which it sounds like it is! do you think the 250r can keep up with yfz450's raptors and other quads on the trails?
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

prob 75+ modded. i always run out of room with mine even down the road that i will ride it on occasioanly (dont reccomend it: people drive nuts and a quad wont win against a car!) in 1988 the trx250r did 72.xx in a NON BS top speed shootout. i can believe it.

ive seen many of them run since introduced and they move pretty good. ive raced many raptors and beat them. not really that hard, when modded, the 250r can put out good hp and it helps with the already great pwr to weight ratio; stock- the raptor 660 was about 38hp or so at the crank; honda used to advertise the 250R at having 40hp at the crank back in the day. add a pipe, rejet, airfilter and you've gained. mine also has a boyseen rad valve reed cage on it with boyseen reeds, of course... i know people with raptors that refuse the race it anymore b/c they get spanked every time. they really arent that modded to set the stage here. if they were it would be a closer race.

but heres the deal- some trails you can only go so fast on no matter what kind of bike you have...however if you WANT a trail bike, get a trail bike. i will re iterate- the 250r will handle them, but i think you'd like a 400 class bike or 700R or something for trails; i wish i knew what KIND of trails you will be riding. also with foresstry regulations and such, some parks are not allowing 2strokes, or if they do, you must have an approved spark arrestor and comply (4 strokes too) with the db noise limit. please dont be one of these that has to be loudest. you ruin the sport, get riding spots closed, etc. creates a mess but that is another topic but keep it in mind.

now a modded raptor or YFZ is going to beat it unless you step up your mods to more than bolt ons. even a stock YFZ will give it hell. havent went up against a 700 but the 700 with prob beat it. as for as the banshee, i had both at the same time and guess which one i still have? the 250R b/c of the fun factor and handling. i rode it more than the banshee even though the banshee is fun and sounds incredible, and one day i may get another one, but the banshee loves open spaces and it is NOT a trail machine at all. it likes to be ***** to the wall all the time.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

forgot to say that both the 250R and banshee have been relieble for us ; we've had several in the fam since the day and all have been reliable. but if you take care of nearly anything it will last. exept maybe polaris! just kidding polaris owners ..ive just been around them when they had problems, etc.... the hondas are easier for usual maintentance though.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry im not one of those guys that has to be the loudest. i have the quiet core in my hmf on my ds650. I ride trail mostly long open some sharp cuves, sand, rocks. Yeah i have thought about a 400cc the ltz400 or dvx400 also a yfz450. im mainly looking for something with great handling that i can control im 5'10 160lbs and the ds650 is to heavy for me to throw around. thats why i broke my foot.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry im not one of those guys that has to be the loudest. i have the quiet core in my hmf on my ds650. I ride trail mostly long open some sharp cuves, sand, rocks. Yeah i have thought about a 400cc the ltz400 or dvx400 also a yfz450. im mainly looking for something with great handling that i can control im 5'10 160lbs and the ds650 is to heavy for me to throw around. thats why i broke my foot.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

the 250 r is really what put honda on the map. these quads have been a milestone in the atv industry for years and are highly sought after. In my opinion they are an awesome quad.

Quick Reply: are the older trx250rs any good