Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

07 Rancher 4X4ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

I just picked up a new 07 Rancher 4X4 ES. My question to the list, is there anything I shold look out for? Like any quirks that others have had? What about performance upgrades? I have seen the power commander, and just saw the HMF (I think) exhaust for it. Now the only draw back is I did get the extended Honda Service Contract, will any up grades void that? Again I am looking for some insight, or personal experiance. Any thoughts on oil weight, I have a case of Honda's GN4 10w-40 that I was going to use during break in. It has about 7 hours on it right now. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!!

Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

I would change oil right away as every ATV I have had has silvery colored oil on the first change. Have driven the new 420 Rancher 4x4 ES and would not change a thing except if one felt a need for different tires. The ease of steering in the 2 wheel mode is sure easier than in the 4 wheel mode. I liked the 420, much more power than my 329cc Rancher.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

Mine has proven to be one superb little machine!!! I would however not have gotten the ES shifting system.

Do an oil and oil filter change, right away! This will get any metal shavings left over from machining out of the engine right away.

GN4 is good during the break-in period (~10-20 hours). After that, you can switch to a synthetic if you like. I run RedLine MC oil, 10W30 in winter and 10W40 in summer. I highly recommend it or one of the other ester synthetics like Maxima, Motul, or Klotz....but they are all pricey.

A good read on oil: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

I would change out the oil in the front differential and rear final drive as well, again to get out any metal shavings.

Be sure you do a valve adjustment at 20 hours!!! Most folks never do this....

Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

Why would you stay away from the ES? Other then one more part to go bad in the middle of nowhere. I have noticed it takes some getting used to, down shifting during a spirited run and such.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

The ES system has gotten a bad rap because Honda had a run of Angle Sensors that weren't waterproofed enough and shorted out. AFAIK, they have been redesigned and relocated on the bike. Do a search for 'angle sensors' if you are interested in reading up on it.

I think you'll find most of the gripes come from people who use their machines to mud wrestle, or pretend they are commander of a submarine; not a quad.

For normal trail riding you will be fine.

If you are still concerned, talk to your dealer or call Honda.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Range Rover
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

With respect, I would never buy the ES! I hope it will never give you problems but the chances are high. I herd and read way more bad things about them. And people in this forum will say I never had any problems but they are few. You should of got the FM. Not much electrical crap on it and very reliable. I think you will be ok if you stay away from water. I test drove the ES at the dealership and hated it! And yes change the tires Its a world of a difference if your into light mudding.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

I've got about 12 hours on my new Rancher 420 and love it. It's snappy and easy to steer. I have the ES and it's great. I ride dirt bikes and it's nice not to have to foot shift. I got the extended warranty just in case, but I think the bad rap with the ES comes from a few unlucky people. If you consider how many Honda ATVs are out there that have ES, the number with problems is negligible. If there were a real problem Honda would have changed it by now. It's like my F350 6.0 diesel dually. If you go to the dieselstop forum, there's always a bunch of people who gripe about something. But, considering the millions of 6.0 engines out on the road, someone is bound to have trouble now and then. The people who are happy with what they have never chime in. Same with the ATV's. I know several people who have Honda's with the ES system and they have never had a single problem with it. The only thing I would do to upgrade my Rancher is put heavier springs (by High Lifter) and add a 12v power port. Besides that, I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

Congrats on the Rancher. I almost bought one of those but the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my Foreman. I would not worry too much about the ES part. I have a nephew who thinks he is a crawfish. He plays in the mud with his Rancher ES so much. He has not had any problems. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RancherLover

Why would you stay away from the ES? Other then one more part to go bad in the middle of nowhere. I have noticed it takes some getting used to, down shifting during a spirited run and such.</end quote></div>

Lots and lots of posts in here, especially lately of problems with the ES system! This is just one of those buyer beware things for prospective buyers.

If you feel that the advantages of having ES outweigh the possibility of future problems...then go ahead. For me, my left foot works just fine, and why would I want to pay extra money for a system I neither like nor need???

I think the majority of machines that Honda produces, have ES. So, when folks (most of whom are not well informed to begin with!) go to buy one, they just end up with ES by default, because that is all there is on the dealers floor......

Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 Rancher 4X4ES

I got the ES because the dealership gave me an offer I could not refuse (4000 brand spanking new). So far 14 hours and not a single hitch. I have blasted through more water in the last two days I have taken it out then I care to rember, but no issues yet. I did get the extended service plan too just in case. Looks like I stirred the hornets nest on this one, but thanks for all the insight. I did notice a stiffer spring at least in the back would be nice.

Quick Reply: 07 Rancher 4X4ES