Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help 250X exhaust and idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 250X exhaust and idle issue

7 turns out is way too much. Maximum it should be is 4 turns. You need to change the pilot jet up, either one size or 2. This will most likely fix the problem...it rattled out too far and is leaking air past the screw. Make sure the spring, steel washer, and rubber o ring are all still on the mixture screw.
The mixture screw is the fine adjustment for idle mixture...the coarse adjustment is the pilot jet. The range the mixture screw should be in, is 1 to 4 turns out. If it needs to be more than 4 turns out...the pilot jet is too small. Who ever did the jetting, didnt do a very good job.
When you take the pilot jet out, look at the number stamped on it, itll be a 35 or 38, depending on what year 250x you have. If you give me the year, I can tell you what its supposed to be stock. But either way, id start with a number 40 pilot jet, and two turns out on the mixture screw, and adjust from there. It should make a big difference.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

The 4-wheeler is a 1992 Honda fourtrax 250x. When I pulled the carb apart many times I could have swore it had a number 26 stamp in the base where the jet screws in. not sure this is the right number. Didnt look at the number on the jet itself. Can you also tell me what the float setting is supposed to be on the model please?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Seems to me the float is the plastic non adjustable type. Theres no metal tag to bend, on the floats. Should be .73". If you find it out of tolerance, check the pin and float for wear, and about all that can be done, is replace them.
For a 1992, the pilot jet should have been 38 for stock, so Id go at least to 40 or even 42. The bigger the number, the bigger the hole. Any dealer of motorcycles and atvs should have what you need, or at least can order it. There are two styles of kiehin pilot jets, one has a straight section which goes in the carb, and the other has a small bulb shape at the end, yours is the bulb shaped one. Just bring in your old one,and match them up. You probably only find the long series...no one has the factory 26 series. So if the portion of the jet, which protudes into the float bowl is longer than the old one..thats ok. Its just got to match up, from the threaded portion ....in. Youll see.Should be about 5 bucks or less for a jet. Otherwise denniskirk has them fairly cheap.
Theres a good article on jetting
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.c...arburetion/index.html

And it describes how to troubleshoot lean and rich, and also how to adjust the mixture screw, when you change the jet. Somewhere around 2 to 2.5 turns out, should be a good place to start with the new jet. At least the motor should start at that setting. Turning the screw out is richer.
The main jet might have had the 28 on it...actually 128. Stock was 122, so 128 would be a good choice. But youll have to go by the drivibility symptoms to know for sure. Dont bother with plug chops....just go by symptoms.

Typical Lean Conditions:

- Poor acceleration; the engine feels flat.

- The engine won't respond when the throttle is snapped open, but it picks up speed as the throttle is closed. (A too-large main jet also mimics this symptom.)

- The engine runs hot, knocks, pings and overheats.

- The engine surges or hunts when cruising at part-throttle.

- Popping or spitting through the carb occurs when the throttle is opened. Or popping and spitting occurs through the pipe on deceleration with a closed throttle.

- The engine runs better in warm weather, worse in cool.

- Performance gets worse when the air filter is removed.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well I took the old fuel line off today and replaced it with one that wouldnt kink up. I start it now and on choke it runs smooth, no popping through the exhaust. When i flip it to run it will idle but still dies after idleing poorly for sometime and pops when giving it gas. Have gained ground on it. Even though the jets were cleaned and I can see through the holes you think I should still replace the jets?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

I pulled the carb off and found that the main jet was a 125 and the pilot was a 38. Not sure if this is correct for the exhaust i have. FMF Performax. Model 1000. Cant find a jetting recomendation for this exhaust. So you think I should try a 40 or 42 Pilot and a 128 maybe for main?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Definetly go to the 40 pilot, and hold off on the main...125 might work out. But if you get symptoms of lean at wot, then go to a 128 or bigger.
Even though the 38 pilot is clean, its too small, and wont allow enough fuel, thats why the mixture screw was at 7 turns out...they were tring to get it richer, and they should have gone up one on the pilot size.
Id try the number 40, and 2 turns out on mixture screw, and the 125 jet. If it breaks up and misses at wot, go bigger on the main.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Would this allow for all year round riding? I dont want to be dealing with issues with this when it the weather changes.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I going to stop at the local motorcycle repair shop. He said he had a 40 in stock. Will put this in and let you know what happens. Hope for the best. LOL

Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TS610

Would this allow for all year round riding? I dont want to be dealing with issues with this when it the weather changes.</end quote></div>

Unfortunetly, the weather does effect jetting....small but it can be felt. Like in summer, you probably wont need to use the choke at all, yet in winter you do. If you jet it for this time of year, youll be fine for all year, becasue itll only be slightly richer in the summer.
And to refresh, heres the part of the article which deals with setting the mixture screw.

Pilot circuit; 0 to 1/4 throttle

Start by bringing the engine up to operating temperature. Open the throttle slightly. Does the engine pick up speed smoothly? If it doesn't, the fuel-mixture screw may be out of adjustment or the pilot jet may be either too small or too large. To determine the pilot screw setting, adjust the idle-speed screw so that the engine is idling slightly fast, somewhere between 10 and 20 percent above the recommended idle speed. Using either the manufacturer's or the jet kit's recommended pilot screw setting as a starting point, turn the fuel screw left or right between 1/4 and 1/2 of a turn. Select the screw position where the engine speed increase is the greatest. Readjust the idle speed to the correct level.

Next, take the bike for a ride, preferably on a relatively quiet, straight section of road. Using your throttle index, run the bike at 1/4 throttle. If the pilot jetting is correct, the engine should run smoothly, and it should be easy to maintain a constant speed without varying the throttle position. If the bike surges or hunts, the pilot jet is probably too small (lean). Other indications that the pilot circuit is lean are popping or spitting through the carburetor when the throttle is opened and popping or backfiring through the exhaust when the throttle is shut. If the pilot circuit is rich, the engine will have a rough idle or may not return to idle without "blipping" the throttle. You may also notice a distinct smell of raw fuel and some eye irritation from the exhaust.

When its running right....turn the mixture screw in all the way and count the turns. It its more than 4 turns, then go up to the #42 pilot jet.
Let me know how it goes,

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

OK I put the 40 pilot in it and it runs GREAT. threw some snow everywhere today. lol. Anyway now onto the brakes. the rear caliper piston is froze. have it off and cant budge it

Quick Reply: Help 250X exhaust and idle issue