Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is Power Steering Worth It??...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008 | 03:21 AM
The Facility
Default Is Power Steering Worth It??...

Try driving a non PS 500 while marking a course for a hare scramble....posting course arrows every 2 minutes....driving with one hand,...stapling with another. Then do the same on a PS model. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
We have used a demo model for the past year in local events and for marking the local track several times and I can say with first hand experience that the power steering option is awesome for such things. Anyone can drive an ATV with two hands as we always have....but when you are working FROM the atv and often steer with only one hand,...the PS option shines over one not equipped with it.
In MY opinion, it's a must have if you sometimes use your ATV for such work related purposes.

As for reliability, I havent seen any problems but with one Grizzly 700 a few months back. It's handlebar would jerk a little both directions at very slow speeds.
That turned out to be due to a slightly bent front wheel that almost wasnt even noticable with the naked eye. It gave the power steering fits.

Old 01-18-2008 | 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Respect your opinion, but really don't think it's that simple JeffinTD. If you want a manual you could get the Rubicon too. That ESP is the best shifting 'manual' I have ever driven, not to mention the 30% Hp advantage. 'Manuals' (or semi-autos) like the Foreman just do not shift anywhere near as seamless, smooth, or quickly as the Rubicon. The more you drive it, the better you get with it.

Please Honda (you guys read this stuff?), offer the CTE or some other better riding Rubicon in the US. Give us at least a simple choice of work or play shock/tire packages.

Old 01-18-2008 | 03:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

MikeM, for some reason when i think of a Honda Automatic (the Rubicon) i think of something slow haha. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Honda, and im going to get a Honda. But the only think really holding me back from getting a Rubicon is that you can't hear the gears switch when in ESP mode. I KNOW that sounds weird, but growing up on Foreman ES, and Rancher ES, it feels like some power is missing when you dont hear that 'clunk' between gears when shifting. However, i have never driven a Rubicon, so its not really fair of me to judge it.

Is the Rubicon a little bit more powerful compared to a Foreman 450 than a Foreman 500 ES would be? (what do you mean about 30%hp advantage?)
With the sticker price for an '07 Rubicon at $5,733 i have to give it a look, and i respect the transmission very much, but for some reason i have it stuck in my head that its not as powerful as the Foreman even though it is on paper.

Enlighten me on this because i would really like to switch it up and break out of just having ESP. The thought of having both ESP and Automatic sounds like alot of fun.

Remind you, i know everything about the Rubicon, i've just never driven one.

Old 01-18-2008 | 06:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

MikeM, I respect your opinion, and the Rubicon, too.

Somehow I was thinking JJJJ stated he preferred foot shift, but I must have been thinking of another thread. Anyway, although the Rubicon transmission is quite reliable, there have been quite a few theads popping up lately from people who's quads have thrown codes and gone into limp mode. Although the Rubicon is a 4 valve liquid cooled motor, to me trading back and forth from my Foreman, neither seemed much faster or more powerful than the other. The Rubicon also takes nearly twice as much oil per oil change (not that I would consider that a factor). Anyway, if you only wanted a manual, it seems to me the Foreman does that simpler.

JJJJ, The Rubicon is not less powerful than the Foreman. Considering that price, you owe it to yourself to ride one before you decide, especially if you think you might want to mix it up and not want to shift yourself all the time. Although the Rubicon doesn't make any shifting clunks when in push button mode, I don't think you will find that an issue.

There's just no substitue for riding something yourself. Of the machines you are looking at my preference would be for the power steering Foreman, but I can see how a reasonable mind might pick the Rubicon.

Anyway, if you go in saying you are going to buy a quad today if they let you go for a spin, maybe they will. Otherwise my advice to JJJJ would be to go to another dealer and ask for a test ride, but if you are going to take up the sales guy's time I think you owe it to them to give them a chance to meet the price and make the sale...

Everyone's personal preference is different, and although lots of people who own the machines you are looking at will spend their time to give you their honest opinion, there's no way I'd buy any model without having ridden it myself.

Old 01-19-2008 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

if you can tell when an automatic in a car shifts by shifting it manually you can tell when the Rubicon shifts in ESP. you do feel it, it just doesn't clunk, take any time, or affect momentum. In D1 or D2 it is a cvt so you cannot sense the shifting. I preferred ESP. You can shift faster and smoother than with your foot and there isn't that clunk or the big gap between first and second of the Foreman ES. I would not expect to 'feel' that much of a difference between the two power outputs (close to 26hp vs 33hp), but lining them up would be unfair, 1st time the Foreman shifts the race would be over. However, these are not racing bikes, so who cares, right? The only thing the Foreman has on the Rubicon is sticker price and simplicity (which most often means reliability) (and PS), but don't be scared by the few Rubicon troubleshooting posts here if you plan on changing oil regularly, storing inside, and don't go swimming with it.

The Vinson is seat of the pants faster than the Rubicon, but I find the perception is not as great as the reality when I run against a friend's Rubicon. It is faster, but not much. I would trade the difference in power from the Vinson to the Rubicon if I could have the transmission too. What I won't trade is the ride, and the Vinson is no couch. The older Rubicons are that stiff which bothered me on longer rides.

Old 01-19-2008 | 04:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The older Rubicons are that stiff which bothered me on longer rides. </end quote></div>

The newer Rubicons and Foremans ride a bit better than the older ones, but there is no comparison between these two and an IRS machine.

On a rough trail, if I could be two places at once there is no way I could keep up with myself on the Rincon on either the Foreman or Rubicon... And after several dawn to dusk days of hard riding I'm still ready for more.

It really is too bad the Rincon isn't offered with the Rubicon or Foreman's transmission, or just a low range.

Old 01-19-2008 | 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 07kodiak 450se and after saying that if I upgrade I would purchase a griz 700 with power steering. I had the chance to use one at our huntcamp for one of our 4hr tours. The difference was amazing. Effortless to steer on rocks, sand, gravel,water, etc. No fatigue on the arms and wrists as I have experinced with other rides totally awsome.

Old 01-21-2008 | 04:38 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yeah im really back to square one now. The Foreman ES (NON PS) is 5388$, the Rubicon is 5,788$ and the Foreman with PS is 6,200$ ..

Oh btw, my hometown dealer wont allow test drives, but since im buying it from southernhonda.com in tennessee (im from Alabama) i called and they said they allow it.. So i'll test drive all 3 when i get there.

Old 01-21-2008 | 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

With that small of a price difference, I'd suggest you ride all 3 and take the one you like best home.

I doubt you would be unhappy with any of those.

Old 01-23-2008 | 12:25 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. I have a little over a month before i purchase, and i'll let you guys know which one i end up getting and how i like it.
I'll try and post a pic as well.

Quick Reply: Is Power Steering Worth It??...