Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is Power Steering Worth It??...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Power Steering Worth It??...

I used to be on these forums alot over the years under the name (JonJonG) or something like that. But i sold my Sportsman 700 in part to get my graduation present (a new truck) about a year ago and now i'm ATV-less [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] .. But now i've got some money saved up and im getting myself a new ATV as a birthday present on March 3rd.

Now to the real question. I'm very knowledgeable about ATV's but i dont know much at all about the new Foreman with power steering..

I basically grew up on a '98 Foreman ES and know ALOT about the 450's.. But I've been wanting a 500 Foreman ES for years (so dont try and talk me into going footshift) and i'm finally about to be ready to get one. My color of choice for all ATV's is green so me getting this ATV last year wasn't possible because it was only available in red.

Well now '08 is here and its available in green. My question is it worth the money to go with power steering over the regular?

I've never driven an ATV with power steering and probably won't have the oppourtunity to as my dealer dosent allow test drives. (i'll be buying from southernhonda.com most likely)

So, i can't find any site that has ATV reader reviews, but does anyone on these forums have a Foreman with PS?

I could save alot of money by going with an '07 Foreman ES non PS if its not worth it.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback. I hope you guys will be able to help me out some.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, i dont know why i got this retarted username.. so just call me Jon

Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I HAVE NOT RIDEN ANY QUADS W/POWER STEERING BIT QUAD MAGAZINE DID A STORY ON THIS WITH A FORMAN AMD A GRIZZLY EARLIER THIS YEAR AUG ISSUE I THINK NOT SHURE THOE. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK IT OUT ON THERE WEB SITE. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

SORRY TO POST TWICE BUT QUAD ALSO DID A STORY ABOUT A GRIZZLY W/ ANDW/O P.S. IN OCT.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think there are a few online reviews. Though power steering might sound like over-kill on a quad, I've smashed a front tire into a rock or stump hiddin in grass/snow, and the kickback can be brutal.

If it were me, I'd get the power steering. A couple of years from now you probably won't miss the extra money, but you might regret not having the option.

The 500 is taller geared than the 450, and has more suspension travel. It generally feels more refined, but is still a Foreman.

Also, if I wanted electric shift, I'd get it. The ES system seems to be more reliable lately, and if some day I had to replace an angle sensor or something, I'd consider it worth it to have what I want.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

i guess it would really all depend on what the price difference is. Personally ive never felt the need for ps but then again ive never drove a quad with it.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

One good thing is if the power steering ever konks out and you do not want to bother fixing it you will just be back to where you started in terms of steering.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to have power steering on our Rubicon, maybe one day.

If I was going to buy an ATV and PS was an option I wouldn't even think twice about getting it. We do a lot of mountain trails and coming down steep hills with 2 onboard PS would be a godsend.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

How much more is the power steering option? Than without?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

See, thats the sucky part about all this. None of us have ever ridden one personally. But everything i've heard about PS has been nothing but very positive.

I hope it doesn't tear up. I think the price difference from www.SouthernHonda.com is around $400 for the same year, but if i went with an '07 Foreman ES (non PS) it'd be almost 800$.

But like i said, the price isint that big of an issue for me. If power steering is worth it then i'll get it.

Quick Reply: Is Power Steering Worth It??...