Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is Power Steering Worth It??...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Power Steering Worth It??...

The Rancher420 will outperform the Foreman 500 in the mud hands down??? I know my 350 couldn't against a Foreman 450 the majority of the time.
Everything else i would have to agree with you though. The Rancher's are smaller, lighter, and overall snapier. But we'll see. I've thought about the whole power steering thing making you seem sissy lol. But i dont know. I just know that i'm going to get a Foreman and there are two to choose from, and i'm trying to get as much information on both before i make my choice.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 420 Foreman's EFI and liquid cooled powerplant is an entirely different animal from the previous versions. It makes similar power to the Foreman, but is lighter/smaller. In the mud I'd think the ground clearance might hold it back, but if it were me the stock 24" tires would be gone before they hit the dirt.

Though a steering damper might do 90% of what the power steering does, you would have to pick one for a sport quad with the same diameter steering stem and fabricate how you want to mount it. If money is no object, I think I would get the power steering one, and then you wouldn't have to monkey around.

It's not lack of strength to steer the thing, but after back to back days of riding fast over rocks and roots, my hands and wrists get pretty beat. When you really bash something hard, it kicks back at you. (I'm sure you've experienced that on the 450).

Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

450 to 500 foreman is minor improvements. If you liked a 450 Foreman you will like a 500 foreman a "little" more.

350 to 420 Rancher was a total overhaul with the 420 not even resembling its predecessor. If you liked the 350 Rancher,you will be "blown away" by the 420 Rancher.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

In the mud I'd think the ground clearance might hold it back...
</end quote></div>

This is the one drawback of the Rancher that gives the Foreman one up on the Rancher. Otherwise, anything, anywhere, whatever I have asked of it, it has given me. I have been places with my Rancher that any Foreman we have ridden with has been with little to no problems.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, but at least that's an easy thing to improve.

If I were purchasing a 420 Rancher, I think it would get a set of radials right off the bat. I assume they will pull 26" tires fine?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

It will pull 26" tires no problem. I am still running stock for now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Since I bought the Foreman, I couldn't afford to change out the tires. That will have to come next year. A friend of mine, however, has a set of Mudlites on his and he likes them fine. It did increase the bump steer a little but otherwise, he has really liked them.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I remember way back in 96 a 400 (395cc) Foreman with 27" very aggressive Vampire Tires winning a Mud running contest. So a 420cc should have no trouble with 26" mid aggressive tires.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think Bighorns will find their way on the Forman, once I find the time to wear out the stock ones. Terra-Cross radial might also be a good choice w/smooth ride.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have set-up, riden and serviced the power steering units. Customers I have using them like the steering, it is an assist, not a damper, although it will also dampen forces against it. I can get technical on how it works, but I am limited for time right now. Lunch hour.
A few benifits from around here is cattlemen rounding up cows. It steers quicker when cutting out a heffer from the heard, and also is easier on you when one kicks a tire. With the power steering, one's wife can also assist in cutting cattle without the arm fatigue which is a plus as you can now have more helpfull people helping you out.
When pushing snow, wet stuff especially, the snow build up in the blad does not hamper your turning ability in cold weather. When needed in below temps to get your driveway open, this option is a huge plus.
Problems ? No, not a one to date of the many we have out there. The powersteering simple design is near bullet proof. A torque sensor take sreadings from handlebar input against the resistance on the wheel and vice versa, where an electric motor kicks in and assists the steering assembly. I have had one issue with a power steering foreman with electric shift that required a shift switch connector be cleaned of moisture, and that is all.
Remember that the 500 is bigger than the 450, better shocks and also more in the oil cooler department

You'll like it

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the insight Gimpster. Your post has enlightened me alot on power steering. And i have a question for you, does power steering result in tighter/better turns than without PS? It seems like it would, but that dosent mean anything either way.

Still the biggest issue is me choosing if i want the '08 with power steering vs the 07 without.
Also, it looks like since the '07 Rubicon is in between these two in price, i may take a look at it. Does that change everything? Should i seriously consider the Rubicon?

Quick Reply: Is Power Steering Worth It??...