Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 Keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 Keeps dying

Hello all,

I've got a friend with a 420 rancher like mine, and it keeps dying every minute or so only while rolling. It will turn off, then start right back up. It's cold outside(about -10 f).

I pretty much stay right behind him, and mine doesn't even come close to dying. It doesn't die when it's idling, just while going.

It never died while giving it a good amout of gas...just while cruising at a pretty slow speed(maybe 15-20).

We changed the gas, put a new spark plug in, and pretty much checked the machine for anything that looks bad. It's a pretty new machine(he just picked it up today used, but it was only ridden a few times).

When he first picked it up, it died after 5 mins of riding it and now it's dying in less than one minute.

What's funny is it will start right back up, go another minute or so, then die again.

I'm thinking it may be something with the fuel injection, but I'm from the old school 300 fourtrax days and have no clue what to do with the fuel injection unit.

I hope someone may know what the problem could be...it's got us all stumped.

Thanks soooo much if anyone can help,

Westinbrad

Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 420 Keeps dying

I would guess fuel pump. At first, they don't go completely so the symptoms fool you into thinking it must be something else. I would get a service manual and see how to test it.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 Keeps dying

Thanks,

I was thinking it was something to do with the gas.

Fairly simple on a carbed(getting gas-check, gettting spark-check, getting air-check)...with these fuel injection units it's a little different.

I'll try getting my hands on a service manual and see what I can find out.

Thanks again

Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 Keeps dying

Check the vent on the fuel cap isnt blocked, suprisingly common problem.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Red Rider
Default 420 Keeps dying

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quad Challenge

Check the vent on the fuel cap isnt blocked, suprisingly common problem.</end quote></div>

I'm slipping! I forgot that one!

Very common. We had a guy out on a 100 mile desert ride and this happened to him. He took the cap off to check his fuel and it started right up after that. That was our first clue.....

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 Keeps dying

My friend called one of the dealers up here in Alaska and they said that it's because it's so cold out, but my machine isn't having the problem...it runs great in the cold weather, but has a hard time starting without plugging it in.

Maybe My 420 is "speacial" in a magical, unexplainable way...I dunno

Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Keeps dying

what do you mean, "plug it in?" if it runs for a couple min., i would say its the breather tube coming out of the gas tank.(on top.)

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Red Rider
Default 420 Keeps dying

Maybe you need a remap for extremely cold weather???

Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 Keeps dying

What's a remap? I'm guessing it's a computer setting to compensate for the colder temperature.

You would think if it was because of the cold weather, my machine would be doing the same thing, but it's just his that keeps dying.

I hope it's something simple because it's a fairly new machine.

We don't have a dealer or shop anywhere nearby which would make things easier, so we kinda have to figure this annoying little problem out by ourselves (I wish I had psychic mechanic powers).

Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Range Rover
Default 420 Keeps dying

It sounds like the fuel is turned off. There is a switch on the side where you can turn off, on, or put the fuel on reserve. I left it off and the exact same thing happened to me. It'll run for approx 5 minutes and then shut down. It sounds silly and probably isn't your problem, just thought i'd throw that out.

Quick Reply: 420 Keeps dying