Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450 Shootout....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 450 Shootout....

April Dirtwheels- It is interesting that the Honda and Yamaha both had the best acceleration and the highest top speed (78 mph) of all the 450's. This was interesting, because I think there is this general impression out there that the Honda is somewhat "slow". These are of course all bone stock machines.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

The theory that the best reviews from Dirt Wheels tend to go to the higher paying advertisers, comes to mind.

Can't confirm or deny that they may be right since I haven't got to ride them all. I am willing to if any of the manufacturers are reading this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But I've seen them rate one quad over another, then in 2 months reverse that same comparison.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

Haven't seen the Dirtwheels yet, kinda curious if they like the KTM as much as ATV sport did at Hatfield/McCoy.
Looked at a new 450R at the local shop Saturday, the black & blue one, sweet looking quad.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Red Rider
Default 450 Shootout....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ScootergptxThe theory that the best reviews from Dirt Wheels tend to go to the higher paying advertisers, comes to mind.</end quote></div>
Funny how nobody claims bias when their favotie quad "wins"! While many parts of any evaluation are quite "subjective", it's hard to not be objective about the readings on a radar gun.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Red Rider
Default 450 Shootout....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: warrior226Haven't seen the Dirtwheels yet, kinda curious if they like the KTM</end quote></div>
Different quads do different things better than others, and this comes out in their analysis. They really didn't come away with a clear "winner", which to me really enhances the integrity of the article.

For example, they liked the KTM best as a trail quad. The Suzuki for out-of-the-box MX. The Honda if you are willing to mod it to your personal preferences (race results prove that!). Etc., etc.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

The Atv Sport shootout had ktm polaris ltr ds and yamaha then honda in that order. Their race was 660 ft, not top end though. so accelerating it went like that which is whatt matters right???? I guess I have not read the dirt wheels yet but I know they have always been biased especially towards yamaha. Ill always take atv sport over dirt wheels!!! I remember when the 450r and yfz had their first shootout. the speeds were very close. Next thing you know they say the Honda is just to slow!!! LOL its a joke

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ScootergptxThe theory that the best reviews from Dirt Wheels tend to go to the higher paying advertisers, comes to mind.</end quote></div>

Funny how nobody claims bias when their favotie quad "wins"! While many parts of any evaluation are quite "subjective", it's hard to not be objective about the readings on a radar gun.....</end quote></div>

Seeing that I don't have a favorite 450, it means little to me.

Would these be the same radar guns that clocked palm trees doing 45mph? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

All these comparison shootouts need to take a look at DirtRider magazine and their MX 450 shootouts. They go in depth in all aspects of a machine, explaining in detail what does what and how it works and what is the cure for a weak end of a machine, not really "what is the best".

Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 450 Shootout....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

April Dirtwheels- It is interesting that the Honda and Yamaha both had the best acceleration and the highest top speed (78 mph) of all the 450's. This was interesting, because I think there is this general impression out there that the Honda is somewhat "slow". These are of course all bone stock machines.</end quote></div>

I still think its slow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Red Rider
Default 450 Shootout....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: xFreebirdxI still think its slow. [img][/img]</end quote></div>
Just demonstrates that what some folks "think" and reality....are often something different!