Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon or HO Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I curently have a 99 500 Scrambler and love the overall performance of it but I am sick of fixing it. I have had nothing but troubles with it. The front hubs twise, drive belt,chain and many more problems. I would also like to put a plow on for moving snow but the scrambler just was not made for that. I am considering trading it for a new Rubicon or HO Sportsman. I realy like the rubicon and the honda reliability, but i also like the ride of the sportsman. I like the shift on the fly four wheel drive of the polaris but if the hubs dont hold up eny better than my scramblers do that alone will make up my mind. I am a little afraid of all the electronics on the honda to. I can see them going bad a few years down the road. I like to do a litle sport riding but must have four wheel drive. Thanks for any unbiosed input and opinions.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

A few years back I decided to give Polaris a try as well. I had the worst luck. After my Xplorer warranty was over I spent over a grand on repairs. It was a complete lemon and I was extremely dissatisfied.

I have had only good luck with Hondas. I love my Rubicon and would not trade it for any other make or model. Reliability is my main concern, nothing else matters to me. What good is the best ride or 4X4 system, when it's sitting in the garage being repaired?

No one can choose for you. We can only offer advice. My best advice is to ride both then choose.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

The Sportsman kicks the hondas A$$ in ride and performance but price and reliability are not close dont worry about the hondas electronics mine have been bulletproof if money is no object
get the polaris but the Ruby will be there for you..

Old 01-16-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I too faced your decision, and I went with the Rubicon. I have no regrets so far, it is an excellent quad. I also have to say it has a much better ride than the 450s/450es Hondas and although it is not as good as the Polaris in the ride departmant, I think if you rode one you would agree that it is pretty close. I also think the front suspension is far better on the Rubicon (my opinion) and that the usable power of the Rubicon (throttle response, off the line transmission engagement) makes up for the slight loss of top end power to the Sportsman. In my riding experience, a Big Bear can pretty much keep up with a Rubicon or Sportsman in real world trail riding (woods) if the Big Bear rider can shift and ride decently. People are posting about the electronics of the Rubicon and worrying about the trans, but how many have actually failed? I know it's only been out for less than a year, but many other makes are showing problems on the first or second ride. Honda did their homework on this one and I don't think they would release a Flagship quad like the Ruby, and subject it to all the media and public scrutiny, if they weren't sure it would enhance their reputation as a innovative and quality manufacturer. You have seen posts by Polaris owners saying that the quality has improved, but these assumptions are based on Polaris' own press information, not from actual rider long term ownership. The "true" 2001 models have only been out a couple of months and there have been magazines and owners who have had problems with these new "improved" models. It's a shame that Polaris let it's quality and reputation in the ATV segment suffer for so long that they have to brag about improvements to a machine that has been out so long. How long did it take to address the plastic steering stem bushing? The quick wearing brakes? The leaking, warping belt housing cover? Years!! That is what has cost Polaris it's reputation. I know all Polaris owners will jump all over me for this, but go ahead. I may buy a "improved" Polaris one day if the fixes truly make the machine reliable, but the truth is 4 dealers in my local area will not take one make on trade- Guess what it is? There's your answer!

Old 01-16-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

At least it,s a tuff choice where your are.In Canada it,s easier because a Rubicon is $11700 OTD and the SP HO is $9400 OTD.To put that in Honda terms You can get a 450es for $8200 but they want $10000 for the rubicon thats alot to pay for 50cc more.I know there's more of a differance than just 50cc but is it a $1800 differance?

Old 01-16-2001, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman HO is a little quicker. The Rubicon is handles better in the woods. According to the 4 Wheel ATV action big bore shoot out the Rubicon delivers the power to the ground better. Pick up a copy of the magazine, it is avery interesting article. Look at the Polaris forum & check out the posts on this or that braking. I do Polaris has improved but they still have a way to go.

As far as the HO having 20% more power than the previous Sportsman models, this is Polaris marketing bending the truth a little. The HO does have more power, but it doesn't appear to be 20% more as advertised.

Old 01-16-2001, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

The Dirtwheels shootout was also interesting you have to wonder if these mags were testing the same bikes.

Old 01-16-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the Sportsman. Honda's reliability has taken a serious nosedive as of late.

The October Dirtwheels gave the shootout to the Sportsman, then the February ATV action did the same shootout, and handed it to the Rubicon. The same company owns both mags.

Old 01-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

whatever, quadfather can you tell us what happened to the polaris in the latest shootout? I believe it broke down, if realiabilty is a concern go Honda, end of story!

Old 01-16-2001, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

What happened to the 400EX in its last shootout. IT BROKE DOWN. If reliability is a concern, go with Polaris. See what I mean, Einstein.

Didn't Hona just recall 126,000 quads?

Quick Reply: Rubicon or HO Sportsman