Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

BOLT-ONS FOR 250X

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on here somewhere that 250r a-arms would bolt directly to a 250x frame.Is it a direct bolt on or is there alterations that have to be made? Also how much wider are they than the stock 250x?Will a swing-arm or rear end from a 250r or 400ex bolt on to a 250x frame?I want +2 on each side of my quad and not sure how much longer I want the wheelbase but I am wanting it longer than it is.Any suggestions on bolt-ons from other quads or aftermarket kits.Thanks.Oh and someone said that 400ex rear fenders are a direct bolt-on.Has anyone done this?I want to try to fit the whole 400ex body on my 250x if thats possible without much alterations.Hasta!!

Old 01-17-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I am in the process right now of putting an 88 250r's a-arms on my 250x! The originals where not on the quad when I had bought it so I can't tell you exactly how much wider your stance will be and also I have modified my front end to accept 250r shocks but it should at least give you +2 on each side. One thing you want to make sure of is to not get '86 250r a-arms they will not fit I believe, I did not actually try but a friend of mine has an '86 and the buchings are much larger than the frame brackets on my X. Another thing is to keep the bushing ends from the x to use on the r's arms they are the same diameter but a little shorter so just switch them out and bolt on and go! I beleive the 400ex's a-arms may work also but look into it before you buy. Keep an eye out on ebay, lots of good stuff for cheap, just search 250r! Find one that also has the rods or you will have to modify yours! As far as the swing arm I am not sure but there should be some compatablity there! Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

i just finished this mod..

but with 400ex a-arms and shocks..might as well say they are +2 +1. its like 1 3/4 and like..7/8s forward

http://www.envy.nu/xc330ex/complete.html

there are some pictures..

http://www.envy.nu/xc330ex/ on the site i am working on a conversion step by step page..its close to being done. The whole page is far from completed

The swingarm won't fit..linkage to non-linkage.

a 350X rear end will fit! it adds almost 2 inches....all you have to do is use a couple washers to shim the bolt so it lines up

Old 01-17-2001, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

94DGblaster,

Looks like your project is coming along nicely. Why did you choose too go with 400EX A-arms and shocks on your 330. The +2 width is going too hurt you in the woods. According too my calculations, that will put you at one inch wider than a 400EX(stock). Wider equals stability in the corners, but it really hurts you in XC. I improved handling on my EX by dropping the ride height of my Custom AXIS shocks too -2". This way, I still keep the narrow profile, but increase stability more without sacraficing width. (whatever works I guess....) I would only put A-arms on my quad for XC too improve adjustability, not width. And 250r/400EX arms are not adjustable.
How's the motor running? I haven't had a chance too get my 330 out much yet(still too much snow).
We will have too get a webpage up featuring 330EX's. Good luck with your first year of racing.

Old 01-17-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Chris:

The motor is going out tomorrow, so i dunno how it runs :-). Yeah we should make a little 330 page. I'm sure the other 330 owner would get in on it. isn't it..Al300ex or something? you know if we all chipped in..for like 25 a piece we could get like..www.300ex.com or something! and then we could just all run the site..

Yeah, i know its probably going to hinder me some. But it should be ok in the long run, because i'm doing MX too.

I still need shocks yet! The 400 fronts will hold me over, but the rear will probably hurt me.

I think i am going for custom axis, or TCS. I've heard TCS are the king of MX and Axis are the best XC. So i dunno.i don't want to blow a ton on shocks really. But if i really excel at racing i'm going to go for the good stuff.

I can't wait to get my 330 together and go rip on 400exs! i swear i'm sick of everyone..sell that 300ex and get the 400!!

Old 01-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

That's a good plan. Try racing out, and if you like it, stick more money into your quad.

I also race MX and XC with the same quad. I run different tire sizes, different gearing, and different shocks settings for each.

As far as "king-of-the-hill" in shocks. Custom AXIS are the best shocks you can buy. Weather it be for MX, XC, TT or whatever. They are the best. They have bigger bodies, thicker shafts, made from better materials, supreme valving, more adjustability, better customer support, and come with a technical manual that explains everything about shocks too you.
TCS is popular because of the lower cost and quick turn-around time. But just like anything, you get what you pay for. AXIS is the only shock that is adjustable enough too race both MX and XC with. If you purchase TCS, and have them valved for MX, they will be too harsh for XC. If you get them valved for XC, they wouldn't take the beating in MX. AXIS will, but they cost more.
Do you see what I'm saying? (I'm not cutting down TCS, they are great shocks. You just have too know what kind of racing/riding you will be doing)

Let me know if your interested in starting a webpage. I can work on it from now until March, or after the racing season.(In March I will be in Hawaii for 2 weeks, and I race every weekend after that throughout the summer.)

Old 01-17-2001, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'd love to do the page.

Are you on ICQ? My number 101631956 or AOLIM? Aaron24699

aaronllmm@home.com is my e-mail..get in touch

Old 01-17-2001, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

just out of curiosity how are you going to mount up your plastic?? are you gonna make up special mounts??

Old 01-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

i cut the old mount in half

i got a picture...

http://www.envy.nu/xc330ex/under.jpg

Old 01-17-2001, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

none of your pictures work, they all say "we do not allow offsite linking of hosted pictures"

Quick Reply: BOLT-ONS FOR 250X