Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

gas in airbox and atv has a hard time starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas in airbox and atv has a hard time starting

i went to wash my 350rancher today i first turned the gas off i stode my atv up on 2 wheels to clean the bottom and to get all the grass and weed out it toke me like 10-20 minutes then i flip it back over on 4 wheels and turned the gas back to on i know it gona take a couple of minutes to start back up because its flooded i waited like 5 minuts and then tryed starting it it starts but than dies than i try it again same thing happens starts up then dies then i tryed it again i hold the start botton for like 15 seconds and it sounds like it wants to start up but it cant if u give it gas it would start but dies in a couple seconds u have to hold the gas to keep it runing or it will die
then i checked the airbox there was water in it like 2 and a half to 3 or 4 cups of water so i drain it and when i drain it it smelled like gas so it wasent water cuz i dident go in deep water

wat is going on how did this happen and how could i solve this problem any help would be great

Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like float sticking try tapping on the bowl with a wooden hammer handle and starting

Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you were washing, some water obviously went down the snorkle! With that much water in the airbox, no doubt you sucked water into the intake as well...that's why it doesn't want to start!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When you tipped the thing on the rear wheels, the gas in the float bowl likely drained into the throat of the carb and out the air box...

I'd try cleaning the air filter, turn the gas off and open the float bowl drain and let empty. Then turn the gas back on and let it flush any crud out of the bowl before you shut the drain.

Also, pull the plug and either clean it or replace it. I'd bet it got wet, or fouled. You may want to let it sit with the plug out for a bit, too, if you flooded it...

I'm thinking it probably didn't injest water whenever you got it deep enough to get some in the air box, or it would have quit or run bad when that happened (unless you got water in there with the hose while you were washing it).

Anyhow, I'd bet that most likely a clean filter, float bowl full of clean gas, and a new dry spark plug will get it going...

Let us know how it turns out.