Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Installing Warn rt25 winch on Rancher 420

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Warn rt25 winch on Rancher 420

I have a 2007 rancher 420 4x4. I am installing a warn rt25 winch on it. I was wondering where to mount the contactor box? The only good space I found was in the rear storage box, but I hated to take up that SMALL storage area.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Rancher 350 in which I also installed the same winch. I also installed the contactor in the rear storage compartment. I mounted it as high as I could so as to leave the bottom of the storage box clear. Others have said they've mounted the contactor under the seat, but I couldn't find a way to make it fit. The rear storage compartment is close to the battery, so routing the wires is easy after you drill a small hole in the compartment. Make sure you cover the four contact terminals with the provided rubber boots to minimize accidental shorts.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Range Rover

I also didn't want to take up the small storage space and I sure didn't want to go to all the trouble of drilling and running wires back there.

I just took out my battery and "placed" it in the area just behind where the battery sits. I removed one of the lower wiring connectors and placed it up above where it would normally sit. There was not enough room to mount the connector so to speak, but there was enough room to lay it in there. Once the battery is put back in it's not going to go anywhere. I thought about cutting one end of the contactor off and mounting one side but decided against it in case of any possible warranty issues in the future. Like I said it is not going anywhere. Also, as Trailrider45 stated just be sure to cover the four contact terminals with the boots. Good luck and just take your time. The entire deal will be frustrating, but you will get it in time.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

I mounted mine under the seat right behind the battery. There is bar there, part of the frame, and I used zip ties to tie the contactor to the bar. It fits very well and I still have the storage compartment in the rear. If you're interested let me know and I'll take some pics and post them for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: VooDoo01

I mounted mine under the seat right behind the battery. There is bar there, part of the frame, and I used zip ties to tie the contactor to the bar. It fits very well and I still have the storage compartment in the rear. If you're interested let me know and I'll take some pics and post them for you.</end quote></div>

Will you post a pic of this. I would lke to see how you did this.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

No problem, I'll have it up in a few hours.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Coursey,

I posted two pictures on my profile of the contactor mounted under the seat. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better view, but I have a basket mounted on the back rack of the atv so the view is blocked.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

I finally got it installed today. I wound up mounting the contactor in the rear storage box, high enough that i did not have to remove the tool kit.

For the red wire from the rocker switch, there is a factory plug in located on the right side of the radiater shourd. I simply pulled out the rubber plug on the end of it, and slipped in the red wire. I did not have to cut on any of the factory wires.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

Congrats on getting it installed. Good thinking on the accessory voltage wire.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Coursey

For the red wire from the rocker switch, there is a factory plug in located on the right side of the radiater shourd. I simply pulled out the rubber plug on the end of it, and slipped in the red wire. I did not have to cut on any of the factory wires.</end quote></div>

Good catch! Too late for me now, but how did you learn about the existing factory plug for the 'hot' wire? I had to find, then cut into one of the ignition wires.

Quick Reply: Installing Warn rt25 winch on Rancher 420