Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS RIDING 250EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I would write this for any of you considering this machine. First of all, I bought this as a "transition" bike for the kids. My daughter long ago outgrew her LT-80, but isn't quite ready to step up to a 300EX. So, this is the bike to hold her over till that time. Second, I take a lot of beginners riding. In the past I have put them on a Recon, but lets face it, the Recon isn't a very sexy machine! With the racks and all, the Recon LOOKS bigger than it really is and people are just plain intimidated. Besides, this is sport quad country, and people just don't cozy up to utilities like they do elsewhere. Also, I'm waiting around for a 650EX just like the rest of you, so performance riders, please don't rag on the little 250, it just wasn't intended for us!

Anyway, I would agree mostly with the review article that appears in this web site. One thing they did not stress is the suspension is more Recon than it is EX. The rebound on the front is VERY fast. While I have not had a chance to ride in really big whoops, you Recon riders know it will just plain buck you off in those conditions. The first jump was a surprise-it landed nose heavy! After that, I was ready for it and it was no problem to compensate, but kids and newbies will need a stern warning about this.

The bike is very nimble, but not particularly tippy. It does stear very light if you accelerate in a turn, and the rear doesn't break free very easily. The seat height is a bit high for a bike this size. I am 5'7", and the bike is small for me. It's OK for casual riding, but not for anything beyond that-there just isn't room to maneuver your weight. There is a slightly obnoxious wine from the rear drive, and the motor has some vibration at low RPM.

A smaller adult who doesn't aspire to advance beyond the beginner stage, will be happy on this bike forever. Aggressive riders will use up the bikes capabilities pretty fast, and want to advance to something more potent. But, there is more than enough power and performance for the bikes intended audience.