Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Racher 350 questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racher 350 questions?

Need some advise. I'm looking at buying a 2006 Rancher 350. The machine is just like new with only maybe 30 miles or so one it. It has only had 1 1/2 tanks of gas ran through it and you can tell. Everything is spotless on it. No scratches even on the underside. He is asking 2,400 but will see if he will take 2,200. This seems to be the most basic Rancher there is. Has is a 2x4 with semi-auto shift and no readout on it. I cant find much on this Rancher on the Internet. What did they sell for new and would this be a good price for it? I also had a question about the foot shifter. Seemed like it was hard to shift it up through the gears. Took me a minute to get it into second. He told me there was only 3 forward speeds but I thought they all had more than that but he didnt know much about it either. I know next to nothing right now about ATVs and need some opinons on this. Would this 350 be worth it and what do I need to be looking out for?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

MSRP for the '06 TRX350TM(2WD+manual shift) was $4099. For $2200 that's an awsome deal. I have 2006 Rancher 2WD ES for my wife to ride. I paid $2900 in May '07 for it as it was a leftover.

All Ranchers have 5 foward speeds not 3. Also the hard shifting may be just be from it not being broken in yet. There is nothing to look out for if its only had 1.5 tanks of gas thru it. They are very reliable ATV's. Change the oil,change or clean and oil the filter, and replace the rear gear fluid and it will probably outlast your interest in it.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2wd Ranchers are more sport quad than utility. They are fairly fast (geared higher than the 4wd) and very agile (less weight over the front axle). I use to bust out some pretty big air on mine! I wouldn't pass it up for that price. Should last you many years.

Just to be safe, change the engine/filter oil and rear drive oil before you ride it. The first valve adjustment which needs to be done at 20 hours probably got neglected, so be sure to do that! Put a clean air filter on it and you should be good to go.

One other issue, obviously this machine has sat for a while. Fuel left sitting in an carburator for long periods can really gum it up. If it runs fine go with it, but it may need a carb cleaning in the near future....

Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe you should treat it like a used car purchase and take it to a mechanic for the quick once over. If the seller won't agree, that would be a red flag as far as I'm concerned. For the condition, the price seems too good to be true. It is virtually brand new and isn't even broken in yet. Just keep your wits about you.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

At first I thought there had to be more to it at that price. The original owner bought it for his wife to ride. She did not want it so the current owner traded his services for it (electrical contractor and builders are what these guys do). It has sat in his garage for the past year and a half. Llooks brand new. I also thought about the carb issue since the gas has probably been sitting around in it. It did idle rough when I first started it but after riding it around, it then idled fine. I will probably do a carb cleaning on it. Sound like I should go ahead and get it. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Tell me this then. He said it was a semi-auto trans. but he also said it was only three speeds and didnt know much about it. Does any of the 350s come with a true manual trans where you have to clutch it or are they all ES or semi-auto? Maybe that was why I was having hard time with the shifter.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

The Ranchers are either ES or semi-auto clutch no manual clutch. Test drive it again to make sure you can hit all 5 gears.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. Has helped me out a lot. Using the TRX350TM on a search, I was able to locate one site with the specs. Will test one more time and go through all the gears.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

Well it looks like this deal is going to go through. At first I thought I lost it because someone else offered more. He then called me back and said the other guy was a no show and I could have it. Picking it up tonight. I will post pics of it after I get it.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

ATVs are a pretty safe bet when buying used. They are not a complicated machine with a million parts where problems can be hidden like on a car.

I just start up the ATV to see if it idles right and watch the smoke out of the exhaust while listening to engine noise. Then you ride it and try all the gears at all speeds and try the brakes,if it goes and can stop fine than thats it.

Cant, really disguise a ATV that does not run right,it does or it does not,no much in between.. Sounds like you have a good one.

Quick Reply: Racher 350 questions?