Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

got Rancher-CHECK...got trailer-CHECK...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got Rancher-CHECK...got trailer-CHECK...

Okay, a little background. About 6 months ago a buddy that I work with says "Hey, watch this dvd...it is of a trip we took to Hatfield McCoy back in May". So I throw it in the laptop, and I am instantly hooked. I am not talking hooked like "oh, thats cool, maybe I'll go sometime". I am talking hooked like "MUST BUY ATV...". So I spend the next 4 months researching all that I can so I can buy a quad for the next group trip (which is in April). Based on my research and advice that I receive on this forum, I buy an 07 Rancher ES 2wd.

Then, I have to address this issue that the bed in my truck is too small to transport my new quad (96 Ford Ranger 3.0-extended cab/flairside/standard shift). So again, based on research and advice from this forum, I buy myself a trailer. Here they are:

Name:  atv023.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  211.4 KB

These are the ratchet straps I picked up at Home Depot. I am very pleased with them. They are made specifically for motorcycle/atv's. They are made with the soft ties so they don't damage the bike, and they also have the locking hooks so the don't come off if the trailer hits a decent bump.

Name:  atv030.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  256.1 KB

Now, the next thing I am looking for is a new set of wheels. I like the ITP type 7 and need advice on the tires. I would like to go with radials, and have narrowed it down to either the Maxxis Big Horn or the ITP Terra Cross. I have checked the pricing through Rockymountainatv.com and the Big Horns are $100 less when all is said and done. A nice savings, but not a big deal in the long run.

I would like some advice on which way I should be leaning with these tires based on any personal experience you may have. Any pictures that you could post with your quad with either of these tires would also be welcomed. Thank you for any help.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

Great stuff you have there. I have the 420 rancher 4x4 foot shift and love it. You won't be dissappointed with this quad. I'd recommend it to anyone. I like the trailor as well. I have stock wheels and tires. They suit my needs pretty well. I do get stuck in the deep heavy mud though. I'm glad I got a winch to get me out. If you don't have one, I'd recommend that first if your on a budget. If not, new wheels and tires will be awesome. I want to get new ones as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

i really do like mine 4x4 es.......been to hatfield & mccoy lots

Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

Nice set up!!

I have an aluminum trailer too, something like yours but it holds 2 ATV's lengthwise. Those aluminum trailers are light and strong - it might last longer than the two ATVs!! I've been thinking about new tires/rims for my Rancher too. I'll be interested in what others recommend.

The winch addition is a good idea, especially with a 2WD model. I added one to mine shortly after I bought it. I've used it once thus far to pull the ATV out of a 'stuck situation' - it worked well!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Nice stuff there! Congrats!

I just got a green 2WD 420 with manual shift and so far I love it. I am going to add a winch and maybe some tires/wheels next year.

Enjoy your ride and stay safe! You made a real good choice.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

My 2WD 420 sports 25" ITP TerraCross R/T radials on black 12X7 ITP Delta wheels.

For me these tires completely changed the way the bike rides and handles on loose dirt and hard trail.

Yes they add some extra weight over the stock rims and tires but I never noticed any loss in power and I'm a big guy at 285lbs

Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

Those tires look mean...I love it. I know that they recently made a change to the Terra Cross...some type of harder rubber compound. I am not sure what the new designation is though. Do you know if you have the new version, or the old? I'm not sure if there is any performance difference, maybe only life of the tire.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jsgregg

Those tires look mean...I love it. I know that they recently made a change to the Terra Cross...some type of harder rubber compound. I am not sure what the new designation is though. Do you know if you have the new version, or the old? I'm not sure if there is any performance difference, maybe only life of the tire.</end quote></div>

I was not aware of a change, I just received the new meats a few weeks ago. Any markings on the tires that would indicate a change?

I'll send an email to ITP, they are fast at responding, the last email I sent got a response in less then 30 minutes!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Here it is from their website. It's called XD. Do yours have that marking on them?

<span class="FTHighlightFont">ITP UPDATES THE TERRACROSS R/T WITH
ALL-NEW XD (EXTREME DUTY) CONSTRUCTION

The best-handling utility tire on the market today just got better! For 2008, ITP's hugely successful TerraCross R/T tire line features all-new XD (Extreme Duty) construction - an extra sidewall ply and increased sidewall and tread rubber thickness for improved puncture protection. The rubber compound itself is new, too, with an extended-wear formulation for much longer tread life. Combine the TerraCross R/T's proven performance with this new level of durability and reliability, and you won't find a better ATV/UTV tire anywhere! The 14-inch sizes are UTV rated at an impressive 1000-pound maximum load capacity per tire at 12 psi, while all 12-inch sizes are now UTV rated as well.

</span ft>

Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jsgregg

Here it is from their website. It's called XD. Do yours have that marking on them?

<span class="FTHighlightFont">ITP UPDATES THE TERRACROSS R/T WITH

ALL-NEW XD (EXTREME DUTY) CONSTRUCTION

The best-handling utility tire on the market today just got better! For 2008, ITP's hugely successful TerraCross R/T tire line features all-new XD (Extreme Duty) construction - an extra sidewall ply and increased sidewall and tread rubber thickness for improved puncture protection. The rubber compound itself is new, too, with an extended-wear formulation for much longer tread life. Combine the TerraCross R/T's proven performance with this new level of durability and reliability, and you won't find a better ATV/UTV tire anywhere! The 14-inch sizes are UTV rated at an impressive 1000-pound maximum load capacity per tire at 12 psi, while all 12-inch sizes are now UTV rated as well.

</span ft></end quote></div>

Wow! That's news to me. I checked and didn't see any markings on the tires that indicated being XD type. Also the email I got from the ITP rep was a question about the correct air pressure to which he (or she) replied 7 PSI, not the 12 PSI as claimed above for the new tire version.

I'm not concerned however as the ride and handling with the tires I have is a major difference when compared to the stock tires that came with the rancher. Plus I'm not a rock-crawler or ace pilot type but rather a easy-going dirt road rider. I'm also wondering if the newer XD TerraCross versions are heavier as well with the extra sidewall?

Thanks for the headsup, I'll wander over to the ITP site and see what's new