Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Rancher, Flat Spot on tire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rancher, Flat Spot on tire??

So I got this new '08 Rancher 420FE and right from the dealer the rear tire has a flat spot. Really Irritating at slow speed. The dealer guy said it will go away.

Anybody experience this on a new Rancher and WILL it go away or should I be looking at a warranty replacement tire?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

is this the first atv youve had

Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Take it back!!! Or i should say i would. This is the kind of second rate service that pisses me off - you drop a lot of money on your new toy and straight out of the gate they are giving you crap over a freaking tire. I am not one to lay down on this stuff, I would complain all the way to the top of the dealership. I really hate this crap - makes me want to open my own dealership - local group here is not known for the awesome service unless you are buying a new bike or a crap load of parts. People like me aint squat to them and they dont have any problems letting you know - i drove over a hour and paid more for my wifes bike cause they ticked me off over the bike we got my son - i even called them and told the sales manager - he honestly did not care - nice dont ya think.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to have an attitide like Splat...find youself a good dealership and establish a relationship with them! I have been with a dealership for 20+ years, and they would go to bat for me on anything!

Ride it a while and see what happens. I could be from sitting so long, or it could be a defective tire that needs to be replaced under warranty.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep. This is my first ATV. Last time I was on one was 1989. Since the sledding season seems to be getting shorter and shorter I thought I would buy a new toy. The deal was hard to pass up, got the machine for very close to half price (off MSRP). That's probably why the dealer doesn't want to replace the tire. He said the flat spot was a result of the machine being tied down for transport from the factory to his dealership (just north of Toronto, Canada).

Honestly I don't know what to believe. I know I don't trust dealers.

I emailed Maxxis and explained the situation. I'm still waiting on a reply. AND I see Honda's warranty does not cover tires. It's the tire mfg. responsibility for the warranty.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

why dont you over inflate the tire for a night in a warm place...than set it to the right pressure and see what happens.

do you really think its the dealers falt..........you where looking at being cheap and now you think your being ripped off.

thats BS

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jrafter,

I recently bought a new Honda 420 TM with Maxxis tires and my right rear had a flat spot that shook the quad when I drove on pavement. I thought about calling dealer but first I made sure I parked it with the flat spot on the top of the tire and the next time I rode it there was no shake. It runs smooth down the rode. My quad was put together the day I bought it so I imagine they don't ship the tires on the rims so maybe it had some weight on it in the crate and needed a few days being aired up to remove the flat spot.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

I replaced the stock OEM tires and rims on my 420 with a set of ITP TerraCross R/T radial tires. It improved the ride and handling by a huge margin.

And I don't trust dealers either. I purchased a supposedly new 420 last fall that the dealer said was new. Even though it was never titled the engine oil was severely contaminated and the tires showed signs of use. The dealer did replace the bike with a new un-crated 420 but refused to say why I received an obviously used bike. I later found out the bike had been in their inventory for almost a year.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I'm not blaming the dealer. I understand the position the dealer is in because it was a Honda employee sale, so there not making any profit off of me.

However, I just got back from another dealer in my area and he said they have a case with another customer who has the same problem. So it's been left with Honda Canada to decide whether or not the tire (on the others guys ATV) will be replaced under warranty. The dealer did say they have tried everything to get the flat spot out and didn't have any luck. The tire needs to be replaced. So for now I have to check back with him and if Honda replaces the other guys tires he will do the same for me.

I do like those tires on the above pic. The dealer showed me some ITP Mud something tires. Holy crap, what a difference in the stock tires compaired to the after market ones.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Watch out for the cat in front of your machine!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sac7000

I replaced the stock OEM tires and rims on my 420 with a set of ITP TerraCross R/T radial tires. It improved the ride and handling by a huge margin.

And I don't trust dealers either. I purchased a supposedly new 420 last fall that the dealer said was new. Even though it was never titled the engine oil was severely contaminated and the tires showed signs of use. The dealer did replace the bike with a new un-crated 420 but refused to say why I received an obviously used bike. I later found out the bike had been in their inventory for almost a year.

</end quote></div>

Quick Reply: New Rancher, Flat Spot on tire??