Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need education on tires wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need education on tires wheels!

Ok, I've purchased most everything I want for my '07 420 Rancher and now I'm down to tires and wheels.

Here is what I know:
I've been looking for a while and I have narrowed the tires down to ITP Terracross or mudlites. I also know I want black wheels and I do like the ITP Delta wheels. However, I know just enough about tires and wheels to know I need to ask for help. I have read on here that if the tires and wheels are too heavy then I may loose horsepower. I've also read that if I go too big I will lose the handling capability of the atv. I do not want to sacrifice handling capability or horsepower just to have big tires. I normally ride on trails, dirt roads and powerlines which does include some climbing. I also use it for work around the house.

Here is what I don't know:
The advantages of 6ply tires over 2ply tires? Do they make a 4ply tire? Which is more suitable for my style of riding terracross or mudlites? What is meant by offset? How heavy are the ITP Delta wheels in comparison to OEM wheels. Are six ply tires much heavier than 2ply tires? AND anything else anyone thinks I need to know.

Sorry for the long post, but I really do appreciate any comments, suggestions or advice.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

Oh, and when possible I drive around deep mud. So no bogging for me.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

Also, does anyone know if it is really advantageous to replace my OEM filter with a K&N air filter.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Range Rover

6ply is more puncture resistant to holes, cuts, nails know what i mean. 2ply just put it like this u could get a flat quicker than a 6 ply. i think they do make 4ply tires. i would get the terracross if ur not going through any really sloppy stuff.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: VooDoo01

Also, does anyone know if it is really advantageous to replace my OEM filter with a K&N air filter.</end quote></div>

well with the k&n your atv gets more air

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks rhonda for your reply. Do you know if adding a K&N filter requires any other alterations to the atv due to the increased air flow?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

I have been going through this very same process, and here is what I have found. First off, I have no practical experience with these tires, but have done quite a bit if research. Your first consideration will be budget. There will be a decent price difference between the Mudlite and the Terra Cross. If that is not an issue at all, then the decision moves to the difference between bias ply and radial. A radial tire is far superior to a bias ply in both construction and wear. It will also provide a much smoother ride and better handling on your quad. I eliminated the Mudlite early in my process due to the simple fact that I, like you, would rather drive around the mudhole than through it. I enjoy trail riding, so that is the way I am setting up my bike.

I was left with two contenders at the end of my search....the Terra Cross and the Maxxis Big Horn (which are both radial tires). Both are regarded very highly and I ultimately couldn't find any information that said one was better than the other. I did continually hear that the Big Horn are as tough as iron (but I imagine the Terra Cross are too). I liked the look of the Big Horns well enough, and after all was said and done, got them for $100 less than the Terra Cross. They will arrive Tuesday and I will mount them on the bike and be able to give you a review. I will take lots of pics to post.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Goodman, thanks a lot jsgregg. Are you going to continue to use your OEM rims? Also, did you find anything during your research to indicate that radials are more/less puncture resistant than bias ply. Or whether the bighorn was more/less puncture resistant than terra cross? Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

i use the itp mudlites 26" 6 ply tire and they are great for everything even snow and we get alot of snow in maine but i do like the look of the terracross tires and i also u itp rims also

Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Other advantages is 6plys are there firmest and the tire will not try to roll under the rims on turns like weaker 2 ply tires.

My friend replaced his cheap stock tire on his 500 Foreman and his handling of the ATV improved immensely.

Yes 4 plys are also a big improvement over 2 plys. 2pys only belonge on light sporty ATVs.

Quick Reply: Need education on tires wheels!