Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

o ring drive chains?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o ring drive chains?

I don't know if it is really obvious or not but what is so great about o ring drive chains...do they do something special that i dont know about, someone let me know what they are all about, thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They keep grease sealed in the pivot area inside the chain, and keep water and grit sealed out.

The result is they run quieter and last longer.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Just to add to a very good post of JeffinTD. Studies show that the majority of the wear is in the pivot and pin area not on the rollers. This is exactly where the O rings hold the lube. Depending on where and how you ride, an O ring chain can pay for it's self.
IMHO spray lube does nothing more than hold dirt and sand and turn the lube into a good cutting fluid for the chain.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
The Facility

I've been in the market long enough to know without a doubt that O-Ring chains are longer lasting in normal riding conditions and normal riding behavior. But if you ride hard, or race, an O-ring chain is a waste of money in my opinion. And a waste of horsepower. You ever weigh the difference between the two? You would be surprised. And going from one to the other, IS a noticable difference in both the ride and acceleration factor.
I use nothing but the Renthal R1 chain. It's super light weight and if you race, it doesnt last any shorter period of time as does an O-ring chain. No one I know who races on the national circuit uses an O-ring chain. Goes for motocross and cross country alike.
The factories use them as OEM equipment on nearly every ATV made for the durability factor regarding the average consumer. But if you race, no type of chain stands out as a dominant performer. They all wear out equally when put through those conditions.
I will not speak of an O-ring's performance in regards to sand. My experiences and what I see are in the southeast and east coast primarily. O-ring chains may or may not be the hot setup in the dessert.

I think that when it comes to chains, the material used in the construction is more important than the type. A cheap Tusk O-ring chain wouldnt hold a candle to the D.I.D. standard roller chain for instance. You get what you paid for.

The chain I would NOT recommend are these so called "lifetime" chains offered by sidewinder and a couple other guys. These chains ARE tough and do tend to peform as advertised, but what they dont tell you are the drawbacks. Like the improved chainces of transmission damage when the chain picks up a large stick, or that they weigh much more than a traditional O-ring chain. A drag racer might not encounter obstacles that might be caught in the driveline, but the rest of us do.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Motorcycle road racers also generally run a conventional chain due to the weight and friction penalty.

For recreational motorcycles on or off road, and for recreational trail type quadding, though, I'd personally run an O ring chain. Conventional or sealed, it pays to buy quality. DID's T ring might be worth trying...

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

wow you guys know a lot! thanks for all the good info, i just do basic trail riding in a lot of muddy and sandy areas so i might have to go with a nice o ring chain for a replacement since i dont race, as of right now anyway, thanks!!!!