Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Foreman valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Foreman valve adjustment

Thought I knew what I was doing then... humbled again!!
Followed my trusty shop manual, turn engine over until "T" on flywheel......
if no slack on lifters than turn over 1 complete revolution until T than you are at TDC.
Only thing is no slack on the adjusters there either. Is there another check I can do to see which T is actually TDC?
I've heard that the valves can be tight at the 100 hr but not really sure what I'm looking for.
Oh yah 2005 Foreman 127 hrs, 1700Kms (pretty sure valves have not been done before, bought used) Bike ran good before adjustment, just thought it was due.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the engine over while watching the intake valve .. When it opens (moved down) then closes (moves up) then watch for "T" you should be close to it ..

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply, I will try it again in the morning.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When the rockers were tight and you went to turn it a rotation, could the T have gone by and you actually ended up turning two rotations?

If you don't turn the motor very slowly, compression can make it fly by the T when it's coming up to TDC on the compression stroke (the rockers will be loose at the top of the compression stroke).

Anyway, they can't both be that tight...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

Could very well be, I found it difficult to hold flashlight, look and pull at the same time. I think I will pull the spark plug to make it a little easier to turn the engine over. What does the R stand for before the T?
Thanks for your help guys, muchly appreciated!!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

The letter before the "T" is an "F" for ignition timing

Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Seemer

Thought I knew what I was doing then... humbled again!!

Followed my trusty shop manual, turn engine over until "T" on flywheel......

if no slack on lifters than turn over 1 complete revolution until T than you are at TDC.

Only thing is no slack on the adjusters there either. Is there another check I can do to see which T is actually TDC?

I've heard that the valves can be tight at the 100 hr but not really sure what I'm looking for.

Oh yah 2005 Foreman 127 hrs, 1700Kms (pretty sure valves have not been done before, bought used) Bike ran good before adjustment, just thought it was due.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.</end quote></div>

seemer I was in the Small Engine Service and Repair over 20 yrs. i've found that the best way to find " TDC " ( Top Dead Center ) of the compression stroke is to remove the spark plug and stick your finger into the spark plug hole , then turn the flywheel slowly clockwise untill you feel pressure again't your finger ; and stop !

Then turn the flywheel untill the " T " on the flywheel aline's with the stationary mark , when you get to TDC of the compression stroke the valve's will be in the closed possition ; you should be able to wiggle the rocker arm's a little !

If this doesn't work then you're not on the compression stroke or one of the valve's are to tight , you need to turn the crankchaft one round till the mark's are alined again ; then check to see if both the intake and or the exhaust valve's are in the closed possition before adjusting the valve's !

Just make sure you're on the compression stroke , both vave's in the closed when you're at the " T "/ Top Dead Center ; the finger in the spark plug is the way i go i don't have the time to look up the spec's i have a Doctor's appointment and you stated you have a shop manual !

But i'll check my email when i get back home , so good luck seemer hope you get it going !........

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

I had a hard time figuring this out as well the first time I did it.

I watched the rocker go down and looked for the T which is after the F. I then figured there wasn't going to be any slack in this position so I pulled the recoil slow until I saw the 3 lines then the F the I new it was coming to T. Get the T in the middle of the hole and you should be able to wiggle the rock just a small bit. Then I was good.

A little confusing but easy once I figured it out. And I am glad I did mine, because now I got a ton of throttle response which I wasn't expecting. It will actually wheelie on command now without haveing to stand on the racks.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys, removed the plug, watched the valves, looked for the T....Bingo!!!
Much easier once I knew what I was looking for. Found the slack at TDC, vavles were almost bang on.
Maybe 1/8th of a turn thats it. Guaranteed to cut the time in half next go around.
Thanks again, this site is a godsend!!
Seemer

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good deal. Glad you got it squared away.