Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Honda Owner with Carb / Fuel Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda Owner with Carb / Fuel Problems???

Hello. I'd like to ask for your advice or input.

Background: I just bought a used 2005 Honda Rancher 350 (5 speed manual). This had been owned by an older couple and the wife wanted an electric shift model so they decided to get rid of it. It appears to not be abused or have lots of hours or miles on it. It is relatively clean and in good shape.

Question: The machine had no problems with power during the test drive. Back at the house, I rode the bike around up and down the street a few times (flat and mostly on pavement, total of 15 minutes) with no issues. A few hours later, before putting it in the garage, I took it off-road for ~1/2 mile down a trail. Nothing crazy but a few bumps here and there. The area is generally level but is rougher than the street. Again, the bike was flawless until I tried to head up a short incline in a small dry ditch. As soon as I started to climb up the 3' long incline the motor lost essentially all power. I made sure I was in 1rst, tried again and the same thing. I switched to the "reserve" tank since it seemed starved for fuel. It ran a bit rougher but I was able to make it up the incline with a running start. I headed the final 200 yards to the house without an issue.

I plan to store it on a trailer in the garage. When I drove up the inclined ramp on the trailer, the same thing happened; basically loss of all power. Unfortunately now, even on level ground, if I rev the engine anywhere above an idle, it will start to stall and sputter. I assume it is running lean since I can get the throttle to advance some if I play with the choke too. After pushing it on the trailer, I pulled the seat and found what appears to be a vaccum line or possibly a vent from the fuel pump loose (left side of pump). Since the end of it had a bit of dust in it, I assume it was a vent and was supposed to be open to the air anyway. I'll fix this but can't imagine 6" of tubing open to the air making THIS big of a difference.

I assume I shook something loose during the off-road drive. Other possibilies include junk in the fuel tank, a fuel pick-up not freely moving around the tank,.....

I have ordered a service manual and am pretty mechaincal but have very little experience with ATVs. All help or suggestions are appeciated. Thanks.

Larry

Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

i would throw some fuel injector carb cleaner in the gas tank......older couple i bet i sat alot

Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is the level of gas ok in the tank. even on reserve, a steep incline will move the gas away from the pick up tube.
The choke is an enrichener, and adds gas when pulled on, so its posible the main jet has an obstuction. Id pull the float bowl off the carb, and look for crud, and floaties. If you see any particles, then its be a good idea to clean the jets and the float bowl. While youre at it, you might want to add an in line brass screen fuel filter. Most atv and motorcycle shops sell them. Its posible the old guy filled the quad with gas from a dirty gas can, and the crud is still in the tank, and if you dont add a filter, its just gonna replug later on.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jrafter

i would throw some fuel injector carb cleaner in the gas tank......older couple i bet i sat alot</end quote></div>

Does fuel injector/carb cleaner really work? I've always been kind of skeptical of using it.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

It breaks down the schlack (dried / old fuel) and lets it run through and burn. It can work, but you are better off to take the carb apart and thoroughly clean it.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd say either you have stale old gas still in the tank, or the carb needs torn down for cleaning...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pinetag

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jrafter

i would throw some fuel injector carb cleaner in the gas tank......older couple i bet i sat alot</end quote></div>

Does fuel injector/carb cleaner really work? I've always been kind of skeptical of using it.</end quote></div>

For varnish or carbon it can help, it will not dissolve bits of stone, sand, rust,grass, leaves, etc....that get into gas cans and tanks, then into jets, valves and needles. I was amazed one time how small a piece of dirt/sand lodged on the side of a float needle and held it closed.

Pennies for an in line filter are worth it.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Sounds like a float problem to me. But I would have to listen or ride the quad to be sure.