Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 polaris question about fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris question about fuel pump

I have a two polaris 325 magnums (year 2000). They have been sitting for a few years, me and my dad are trying to get them going. One of them runs alright when the choke is on but dies otherwise. The main question is do these even need the fuel pumps?

My dad said he read on here that you can just bypass the fuel pump and connect the hose directly to the carb. If thats true then what are the benefits and also would this cause any problems? Would it use more gas? It seems these fuel pumps are nothing more then switching units to switch between reserve and on switch positions but I don't really know.

I know its late so I might not get any responses but hey its worth a try. Thanks

Old 06-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bump

Old 06-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just pull the full line from the carb and crank the engine over.If the fuel pump is OK you'll have a steady stream of fuel. If so just clean the carb and install a new carb kit from ebay.If it takes choke to keep one running,carb is stopped up..Even if a fuel pump is bad,there are cheap ones on ebay.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just pull the full line from the carb and crank the engine over.If the fuel pump is OK you'll have a steady stream of fuel. If so just clean the carb and install a new carb kit from ebay.If it takes choke to keep one running,carb is stopped up..Even if a fuel pump is bad,there are cheap ones on ebay.
I think my dad mentioned you were the guy that said the fuel pump could be bypassed until a new fuel pump can be installed. We were planning a fathers day trip with these quads and we wouldn't be able to get any shipped from ebay soon enough. Can these be bypassed without any negative side effects? thanks

Old 06-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just pull the fuel line from the carb and check fuel flow.. 99% of the time the pump isn't the problem,but trash in the carb jets,stopped up needle and seat.If it takes choke to keep one running,it's usually a sign of a carb problem.Possible you can at least try to clean the carb enough to get by the week end.You can by pass the pump,but may have supply problems because the carb is a bit higher than the lines at the bottom of the tank. That's why they have a fuel pump and a cv carb.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just pull the fuel line from the carb and check fuel flow.. 99% of the time the pump isn't the problem,but trash in the carb jets,stopped up needle and seat.If it takes choke to keep one running,it's usually a sign of a carb problem.Possible you can at least try to clean the carb enough to get by the week end.You can by pass the pump,but may have supply problems because the carb is a bit higher than the lines at the bottom of the tank. That's why they have a fuel pump and a cv carb.
Thanks. I'm going to work on it and see what happens. Appreciate it.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think your right the carb needs cleaning. Tried the bypass and it didn't work. I take it the only way to get the carb off is to remove the fenders,gas tank etc.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You don't have to tear everything apart. Remove the side panels lift the tank up(prop up the tank) enough to get to the carb bracket. Still kinda tough,but can be done. Cables can be left attached. What you're trying to do is remove the float bowl to get to the jets,plus the needle and seat if necessary.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

You don't have to tear everything apart. Remove the side panels lift the tank up(prop up the tank) enough to get to the carb bracket. Still kinda tough,but can be done. Cables can be left attached. What you're trying to do is remove the float bowl to get to the jets,plus the needle and seat if necessary.
Its really nice of you to help so many people. Thanks again

Old 06-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Question

As long as the old memory lasts.. Better than doing cross word puzzles.

Quick Reply: 2000 polaris question about fuel pump