Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions about Honda Rancher 420

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Honda Rancher 420

I need some PROS and some CONS about the Honda Rancher 420?? I am looking into maybe buying one but first i need a little info on them..

Thanks,
Hondaracer2010

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

I love mine! What questions do you have?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

PROs Most ATV for the least money... CC's plus EFI.

The only CON I can think of is that it has the least Ground Clearance of all ATVs I have been researching. Mods can be made and depending on what type of riding you do it may not be an issue.

I"m thinking of getting another...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

Mine has only 125 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Great throttle response and light enough to throw around. Great cold starting with EFI. Great all around bike. One thing I might change is the seat. My wifes seat is much softer, I guess I am just getting old.

Any specific questions?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

i have almost 1700 miles on mine and its great.........its never over heated it starts when it cold and its fun

Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Love mine!! Work the heck out of it around my ranch hauling a manuer spreader, harrowing, seeding, hauling hay, grooming the arena, etc. Great cold starter. Great throttle response. Nimble with low COG. Enough power for hard work but also fun to ride on the trail. I love the shift on the fly 4x4 option. I'm going to buy a second one soon for the missses. She wants a yellow one. I may upgrade the springs to stiffen up the suspension a little but it is fine stock. I already added a 12V outlet for the towable weed sprayer I have. Mine is a ES model and I know that some folks don't like them but I like it better than foot shifting and I ride dirt bikes too. For my first ATV I couldn't be happier with it. I rode a polaris 700 twin and it seemed BIG, top heavy, and not as fun as the 420. For what I use it for it's perfect. If I want to go fast I jump on my 2 wheeler.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I love mine. I had it up in northern PA in late February and it managed to run through a foot of snow. I haven't really worked with it yet, but I like the fact that it can be used to work but it is still light on its feet to have fun on the trails. I love the EFI. It started first time every time even in the 20 degree weather. My father has a Yammy 450 4x4 with the locking differential; I was able to keep right with him through the snow. For the $4900 I spent on a 2008 Rancher, you will NOT find a better machine.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Range Rover

Love mine as well. Very fast responding time, light and snappy. Excellent gas mileage. Reliable, efi and fuel injected. I have a rear seat and it carrys a passenger just fine. It looks and sounds nice.

I would like to get aftermarket tires to see how it will wok in the mud. The stock tires are ok though.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great little machine! Big enough to do the job, but small enough that it isn't a huge pig either. Very peppy motor, especially right off the bottom. Great handling and descent suspension.

I know IRS is all the rage these days, but SRA gives you that tight stable feel with no body roll, that you get riding a sport quad. Ground clearance over the rear diff isn't great, but most folks put on bigger tires anyway. I am running 25" ITP Holeshot ATR's, and that increases my clearance to over 8".

My only complaint is that Honda didn't make it lighter. To keep the price down, they obviously didn't use a lot of lighter alloy parts.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

Love mine!! Work the heck out of it around my ranch hauling a manuer spreader, harrowing, seeding, hauling hay, grooming the arena, etc. Great cold starter. Great throttle response. Nimble with low COG. Enough power for hard work but also fun to ride on the trail. I love the shift on the fly 4x4 option. I'm going to buy a second one soon for the missses. She wants a yellow one. I may upgrade the springs to stiffen up the suspension a little but it is fine stock. I already added a 12V outlet for the towable weed sprayer I have. Mine is a ES model and I know that some folks don't like them but I like it better than foot shifting and I ride dirt bikes too. For my first ATV I couldn't be happier with it. I rode a polaris 700 twin and it seemed BIG, top heavy, and not as fun as the 420. For what I use it for it's perfect. If I want to go fast I jump on my 2 wheeler.

Couldn't agree more! I love mine as well and will probably buy another for the little lady(The Blue one I guess is what she is after)

Quick Reply: Questions about Honda Rancher 420