Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Brakes on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Brakes on the way!

I just ordered my disc conversion for my 450 Foreman 4X4. I also got new rear brake cables at Honda House today. Can't wait to actually pull on a lever and slow down!

I'll update when I get 'em in and on. Should be early next week.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a set also. I hear they work extremely well. I wonder how the pads hold up to wear and tear from being wet and muddy? I'm assuming you ordered the HighLifter ones and they are the mud experts, so they should be fine. Let me know how the install goes if you don't mind.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

Actually I bought the Xtreme ATV set
http://www.onlyatv.com/disc-brake-kit.php

They are $100 cheaper and seem to have better components than the Highlifter kit.
They called today to let me know that they are getting the parts from the powder coater late today so will ship oin Monday. I already like the customer service.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

We haven't gotten to see the Xtreme's set yet, but have installed a lot of the HiLifter's.

The Xtreme's setup looks to use a Polaris type caliper, which IMO is a good caliper design.

HiLifter uses a Wilwood caliper, which is the same found on the Arctic Cat (uses the same pads as most Arctic Cat ATV's). The HiLifter's brake system holds up pretty good, although the original pads are not as good as a set of EBC sintered metal replacements.

One way to look at it, no matter which brake system you use to upgrade, you have just improved a Honda by adding a little Polaris or Arctic Cat to it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer

HHAAAHH! That's a good one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Last trip to WV we spent the whole weekend working on a couple Sportsman's just so we could ride late in the day. Meanwhile the two Hondas on the trip never lost a beat. Of course I couldn't stop very well but that's beside the point [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

OK, they're here!!
Have to wait for next weekend to do the install as tomorrow is our 11th anniversary and Mrs Schickie will not let me cancel our trip for working on the Foreman [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll update when they're on.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, finally got time to do the conversion! Just got 'em bled and will be hitting the trail in a couple of hours. I really like the fact I can stop when I need to now.

The kit showed up with all the parts and instructions but I would recommend using the online tutorial from mudanddirt.com
Everything went on easily and seems to be of very high quality

Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

The new discs work really well. They stop the bike on a dime and stood up to enough mud that the wife made me get undressed on the back deck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the Xtreme disc brake kit....Hi lifters seems to not hold up as good due to the disc not being the solid design an holding debris within the rotor and wearing out the pads faster.Im very happy with my Xtreme conversion as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

Went for a ride yesterday with the brakes finally bled fully. I can now stop as well as my buddy's '07 Rincon even after getting above the tires in watery mud for 100 yards at a time.