Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 350 rancher choke problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 350 rancher choke problems

the choke was stuck in on my 4 wheeler i tried to pull it out but it wouldnt so i forced it and it broke off the metal piece on the handlebars the plastic broke in half and im going to have to replace it, still want pull out can anyone send me some documentation on how to replace this

Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to be sure it is just the cable and not the choke itslef or the linkage. That cable housing is famous for getting stuff down in it and freezing (literally in cold weather). If so, I would just disconnect it for now, and start it by using the primer until I could replace the cable or clean it.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is the origional choke cable on the quad, there is an updated cable available. Moisture would get into the choke cable under the rubber boot where the choke **** pulls out of. The moisture will rust the cable and also promote oxidation build up within the bore of the starter valve (choke plunger). The carb does not have a choke plate. The choke works off the principle of a small piston connected to the choke cable that when pulled opens a port in the carb to add fuel for start-up. When moisture works it's way down the cable and oxidizes the bore of this piston (plunger), it feeezes in the bore and normally when removed, is scored and will not slip back into it's bore in the carb.
I suggest that the cable be updated and the new starter valve kit be installed after the bore of the carb, for it's placement, is cleaned with a gun bore brush or rolled up emery cloth.
This should cure future choke cable issues

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

okay im going to order the new choke cable thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

do you have to take the gastank off to replace the choke cable

Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

Yes you do thats what a dealer just told a friend of mine with a 2003 rancher he had his choke replaced.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

the cable is broke at the plastic piece on the handlebars and i know i have got to replace it but if i want to see if the cable is stuck in the carb can i take the cable loose from the carb while still attached to the motor and see if it was froze there and clean it out with some carb cleaner are do i have to take the carb off completely to check this.It looks like i have enough room to remove the cable and check it out

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yep take off tank

it makes it alot easier i just replaced one on a friends, it makes it easier to thread the choke needle back in the hole on the carb. actually you dont really need to take it off to route the cable. i just loosened the bolts holding the tank and was able to get my hand under the back part of the tank to thread the cable back on the carb. be careful threading it it is plastic and will strip( this is hardest part i think) you need to feel the whole cable to thread it back in. i tried without taking the tank off and it doesnt work.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yea you can...

Originally Posted by irishdreamsnd
the cable is broke at the plastic piece on the handlebars and i know i have got to replace it but if i want to see if the cable is stuck in the carb can i take the cable loose from the carb while still attached to the motor and see if it was froze there and clean it out with some carb cleaner are do i have to take the carb off completely to check this.It looks like i have enough room to remove the cable and check it out
but its a b**** getting it back on and i couldnt see down the hole without a mirror. by the way the cable just pulls all the way out of the carb it hooks to a plunger/needle so dont be afraid to pull it all the way out

Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

and dont forget to check out why it was stuck mabey it has a kink or something

Quick Reply: 2000 350 rancher choke problems