Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 Honda Recon problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Honda Recon problem

This is my first post here and I'm new in general to quads. I monkeyed around a little with trikes in my younger days but it's been awhile since I've played with ATVs. Anyway, I just picked up the bike in the title yesterday. It didn't run when I bought it and I got it running this morning. Fresh gas and a quick cleaning of the carb got it running and idling nicely. I got it all warmed up and jump on to take it for a little test ride. Click it into gear, give it a little gas and it sounds like a cement mixer. I shut it off immediately and now I can't even get it out of gear to move it. It did roll ahead a little in the brief moment that it made the horrible noise. I've got a manual on the way for it but does anybody have any starter tips on what I can try before the manual gets here? There's a cable attached to a lever on the back of the engine that goes up to the rear break lever that doesn't seem to do anything so I'm not sure if that's something to do with my gear gnashing? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

Does it look like this?
Name:  reversecable.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  42.0 KB
If so, that cable is for your reverse. It should have a red button up there on the brake lever that you push in and squeeze the lever back, then push the foot shifter down to go into gear.

Not sure about the noise. Does the foot shifter have any play in it?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Funny you mention that picture. I JUST found an old post you made with that picture in. That's the cable and I've got no red button anymore but I figured it out from your description. The lever does move but it doesn't go back to where it should. I gave it a spray with some lubricant to see if that loosens it up any. I was able to get it back out of gear. I rocked it back and forth while pulling up and pushing down on the shift lever.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another small update. Pushed the reverse lever back now that I know that's what it is, started the bike, put it in gear, same grinding, can't get it back out of gear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yet another update. Adjusted the clutch on the front of the engine. Drives around in reverse just fine. Looks like I may be in for a rebuild.