700XX at the dealers....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 700XX at the dealers....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT

My opinion on this machine was totally opposite of what it has been since Thursday morning when I got to spent a little time on one.

To me, the 700XX does not compete with ANY model ATV over the 400EX/Z400 class. Don't get me wrong, the 700XX is more than both of the 400s, but not it's still not in the same ballpark with the KTMs or Raptor700 at all.

If Polaris had kept the 500 Predator in it's lineup, that would be the quad I would say the 700XX most closely competes with. I guess that nominates the KFX700.</end quote></div>

Not in the same ballpark in terms of power or in terms of handling (or both)??? And, I assume you meant this in a negative way (?), since your are comparing it to the KFX which is the all time huge pig of "sport" quads in my book.

Unfortunately, there is a tendancy for most folks to compare similar displacements, and ignore the frame design and handling.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUAD MAG did a review and there rider said that it has no where near the power of the raptor, the transmission was notchy, the steering was twitchy, the front end pushed, the suspension was harsh, the rear end flew around in whoops, and the seat fell off.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 AM
The Facility

I rode for maybe 30 minutes on a small, but fast trail loop and got to stretch it a couple times in the field section. There are a few whoops and rough trail in a couple fast sections, but not enough rough terrain that I would vote the 700XX being "twitchy" as others have said here. I'll have to spend more seat time on one in rougher conditions in the future to find out.

RR,
I mentioned the KFX 700 because, to me, it reminded me of one when riding it more than any other quad out there. The specs are worlds apart on paper, but the combination of ergos and weight play a big part I think.
Performance wise regarding the power, it feels just like the Predator 500 to me.
Handling wise, it felt much like the 400EX.
When cornering, I was surprised as to how well the IRS works on it. It is very close to straight axle traits. But not when the terrain was rough or rutted in the corners. I felt it handled more poorly than the Outlaw on rutted turns, but better than any IRS quad on the smoother ones.

My view of this machine changed since riding it. I was under the impression we had something at least close to the Raptor 700, but I view it now as an evolved, improved, and more powerful 400EX. Not a bad thing in general but I think it is when you include the price tag.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

To me it will be a good trail and riding bike but the dame wishbone rear suspendtion. is not good for the track. I love honda's that all i will ever own. but i think honda mad a bad call and stupid idea of not making it a stright axle.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jasonb_32420

To me it will be a good trail and riding bike but the dame wishbone rear suspendtion. is not good for the track. I love honda's that all i will ever own. but i think honda mad a bad call and stupid idea of not making it a stright axle.</end quote></div>

not trying to be a *** but i think you sell yourself short when you say you will only buy 1 brand forever. i have not been impressed with honda for a long time. the last time i was really impressed was with the fourtrax 250r. maybe thats just because i ride pretty much only so cal desert and fast open trails. there motorcycles are top notch though.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</end quote></div>"not trying to be a *** but i think you sell yourself short when you say you will only buy 1 brand forever. i have not been impressed with honda for a long time. the last time i was really impressed was with the fourtrax 250r. maybe thats just because i ride pretty much only so cal desert and fast open trails. there motorcycles are top notch though."</end quote></div>

It's interesting what different people's perspectives are! The 450R is the king of desert endurance racing, so I don't see that there is any other logical choice when I pick a desert quad. Sure dirt bikes go fast, but they get all squirely in the soft stuff, so I would rather be on a fat tires....

Old 04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
I was under the impression we had something at least close to the Raptor 700, but I view it now as an evolved, improved, and more powerful 400EX. Not a bad thing in general but I think it is when you include the price tag.</end quote></div>

Interesting comment, I'd still like to take one for a spin, but I don't know about buying one, if it's that close to a 400EX/Z.