Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon- Believe it or not…

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In today’s local paper there was 1 Rubicon for sale. Price $5500.00. I got directions and stopped to get cash. I missed it by less than 5 minutes. If only I had the cash I wouldn’t have had to stop. Man now my day is ruined.

Amendment: It was red, bone stock and had only 105 miles.

Old 01-21-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

That was a steal!!

Old 01-21-2001, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Next time, visit the seller FIRST. If you want the merchandise, leave a deposit, or a check, for the seller to hold it for you until you return with the balance of the cash.

Diogenes

Old 01-21-2001, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I asked if he would take a check to hold the quad before I left home, he wouldn't. So off to the cash machine I went.

The trick is to buy the early edition the night before. This is what I do when I'm looking to buy. I just happened across this one. It sure would have been nice to have a red one to go along with the green.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

Another way of looking at a so call good deal. Any used machine can have many hidden flaws that are not visible from the outside especialy with a quick look see in someones garage. I would hesitate to buy any ATV in that price range with out the possiblity of buying an extended warranty. Especially a new designed machine like the Rubicon, we have had a few problems with the one we have, and its all been electrical type problems. These kinds of malfunctions are generaly not cheap to remedy. The automatic transmission alone is a new concept that can only be replaced as a complete unit, as it is not serviceable. With the limited 6 month factory warranty and the nature of any mechanical machine it is prudent and wise to consider the real cost of a so call good deal. Sincerely Kewl

Old 01-21-2001, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Old 01-22-2001, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Hiofcer, what cash machine do you use that dispenses $5000? The banks I've tried limit ATM withdrawls to a few hundered for fear of getting ripped off. Certainly would be more convenient if you could get large amounts on weekends if needed.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

I just withdrew $200.00. Just enough to hold the quad until I could get to the bank for an official check.

Old 01-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the only new thing about this transmission is the use in an ATV. This tranny was on an automatic streetbike, as well as a few scooters from Honda. What were the electrical problems that you were having? So far, I have had none.

Old 01-23-2001, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

RubiconBob
The problems we had with our Rubicon had to do with the speed sensor. The electrical connector under the seat on the right side failed to the extent to letting water in and shorting out the sensor. The dealer we bought the machine from is now sealing all the speed sensors in his inventory. I might add the speed sensor was not the only connector that had water trapped inside its cavity. There are two styles of connectors that I seen on this machine, the round connector with the rubber o ring didnt have any water inside, but all of the square shaped clip type were contaminated with moisture. Another problem area was the carb, choke intake. The engine would not idle at all, after further investigation, I found the source, the internal sleeve for the choke was corroded with rust and water. The rust was coming from the spring that is under the rubber boot which is supposed to draw the sleeve back and forth inside the carb as you choke, or dechoke your engine. After you inspect your machine for water, and rust, spray a little choke cleaner into, the choke sleeve cavity and apply some water resistant grease to your spring. I then reattached the rubber boot cover and covered it with some silicon adding some extra to the top where the cable enters the boot and at the base of the boot and the flange of the carb. This should make a good water seal now. Thats it so far Bob hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: Rubicon- Believe it or not…