Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

gas prices are killing me $448 at the pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas prices are killing me $448 at the pump

First the Canadian calulated the $ per gallon wrong. It's $1.22 X 3.875 = 4.73. You have it in IMP gallons not US gallons.

But back the gripe at hand. I don't feel there is a shortage of oil either. But the concept is to use up all the oil in the middle east first before using ours. A country that has no reserves is screwed. And its a lot better to have some Iraqies and Saudis walking around in the desert 20 years from now wishing they could afford a new camel while we are still in the upper 10% of world powers than to have the USA buying every drop of oil from the middle east and paying $300 a barrel because we ran our selves out and they now control the world. We want to be in a position were we control our own destiny and not where we are at mercy of another country's control.

Japan has no natural resources and their economy is entirely dictated by outside forces. We still have enough reserves though not enough capacity to continue as a world power for a few decades. How can we fuel our airplanes and ships during a time of crisis if we are totally dependant on outside supplies? So yes we will continue to buy at the inflated price, let the people pickup up the tab, and continue to be a country that has the intelligence to know terrorist can't buy bombs after the oil money is gone from the middle east.

We really need to look at the foundation of the problem. The out of control oil prices are just a reaction to something we did probably 10 + years ago. It takes time for f**k ups this large to fester. The USA citizens started by getting tied up in 401K growth concerns. Next we looked at ways to increase profit for additional Stock growth. We started with NAFTA. I think Bush SR started that crap and Clinton put the nails in the coffin. Then the shift of moving additional light manufacturing to Mexico and now to China as they were cheaper. Followed by a shift of heavy manufacturing to China. There probably isn't a transportation company left in the world that doesn't have parts manufactured in China.

But that's not a problem. Here is a possibility. For the past 30 years the Chinese were only allowed to have one child or taxed heavily. So they killed all the females and kept the male offspring. Are they going to be able to sustain their population base?

Where is this all going? I don't know but I'm sure the oil prices are just a result of something much larger. Kind a like having a cold and worring about that, but ignoring the fact you also having a heart attach at the same time.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DWill58

They also do not pay taxes, which is why they have higher gas prices.</end quote></div>

Who are you Talking about?

FYI I pay Federal and Provincial tax on every pay cheque, plus there are more taxes on every purchase we make - I have lived in Europe - trust me... they pay some hefty taxs too.

Now, if you are refering to the Saudis and Kuwaits - OK - They have Oil revenues to support their government and the citizens don't pay taxs.

So ... who do you think doesn't pay taxes?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

well yamahas suck on fuel economy

Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

my friend has two and my honda gets like 25 or 30 mpg well his gets lik 30 gallons per mile

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Well I was just looking at this thread and decided to join as I had to comment, I live in england and at the moment fuel is £1.20 a litre which is just killing every one here, I can just about run my car let alone my quad.