Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex at hillclimbing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001 | 10:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I just sold my Kodiak and wanted a sport like the Raptor or 400ex. I was wondering how the 400ex climbed hills I mostly ride trails but there are a few hill climbs I know the banshee is a good climber but would prefer a 400ex.

Old 01-21-2001 | 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

This is one of my favorite subjects. I like climbing hills (I like shooting them too, but dragging hills is not as exciting to me.). The 400EX is the best ATV I have ever owned for CLIMBING the types of hills I play on. There are many factors though. I state the obvious because a Blaster is sometimes better at climbing hills than a 400EX. Especially if it is a hill that you probably aren't going to make, and have to turn around on. (A Blaster is so small and light, you can brute force it if need be.) Also, I think sometimes it is more fun, and a pretty big rush if you can't make a hill. The 400EX has a little more power, so you actually top the hill and don't have to turn around. On a straight, non technical hill, a Banshee can top a hill a 400EX can't (duh). I am not sure I would like to try a Banshee on a rough, rutted out hill that I wasn't POSITIVE I could top. I have tried a Banshee, and I think they handle like a snowmobile, which is not a good thing on a 50 degree off camber. Although if enough people are around and acting crazy, I will attempt almost anything...
Anyhoo, I have never personally tried a BIG hill on a Banshee. So, this whole post is a probably an opinion-laden waste. You can visit my website, and click the TRX link to see the types of hills I play on. All are not super technical, but many have ruts and trees, and ledges, that require more than a full throttle blast to top.

Steep hill Here is one I topped on a Blaster, but wouldn't try on a 400EX. Mostly because the 400EX is more valuable, heavier and would sustain more expensive damage if it didn't make it. I definately wouldn't try it on a Banshee. (unless I was with a group of goofy people) I know, I know, a helmet is better than a stocking cap. Please don't flame me, I always wear one now.
If I rode in sand all the time, or liked drag racing up the smooth hills, I would DEFINATELY get a Banshee.

Old 01-22-2001 | 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Now THAT'S a steep hill, Philzie!

I HOPE you wear a helmet now.

In this case, one picture may be worth MORE than a thousand words!

Good post, thanks for sharing.

Diogenes

Old 01-22-2001 | 11:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Philzie, appreciate the answer I don't think I would attempt a hill like that on any sport so my hat goes off.

Old 01-22-2001 | 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

A 400EX can climb, but put it to a hill that has about 6ft of take off space and see what happens.If you really want somthing that will just fly up a hill I would go for the 2 strokes.Ive taken my Tblazer up almsot all the hills my friends warrior has been.Oh yeah a Blaster isnt that good of a climber, because its so short it can fool you when you get to the top of a hill, and you think your there, and then let off but your front whelles arent there=)Know this form experience.

Old 01-23-2001 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the compliments! I should tell you that was me young and stupid dayz. I am so glad my friend had his camera along. Actually that is why I did it, just for a picture! I thought if I don't make it, WHAT A GREAT PIC! I didn't think for a second he would miss a crash shot (he has...) That is the gnarliest ledge I have ever topped on any ATV. Well, except threewheelers multiply the gnarly factor. Imagine doing something half that ridiculous on a 350X. What I mean is that is the gnarliest LOOKING ledge I have ever topped on an ATV.

Ride Safe guys.

Nauvooguy is right. The run to that ledge was healthy. There was a lot of coast and bounce involved there. It was all downshift going up. A Blaster will NEVER, EVER upshift on a hill like that. The big straight one to the left of the ledge in that pic can be done by a Modified Blaster. Plenty of run there too. You actually hit the bottom of the hill in 6th, scrape the undercarriage when the suspension bottoms out, and down shift all the way to the top. Finally topping it in 2nd gear. You gotta have faith in yourself or KNOW you can turn around if you are not going to make it. (seen the somersaulting Raptor vid yet?) My 400EX will do it from a standing start 20 feet from the bottom, upshifting to 3rd, and going all the way in 3rd. A piped Banshee will Scream to the top upshifting all the way to sixth and catch air off the top. A stock Banshee will do it somewhat slower, probably not hitting sixth. The hill is flat on top, no drop off. You DON'T LET OFF until you top it. Unless you want to turn around. (My experience watching others try it...)

Old 01-23-2001 | 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

philzie, sweet looking hill climb there. I would do it, just not in the spot you did, hehe.
Great job on the climb.

Old 01-23-2001 | 04:42 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

the EX is better for tech stuff as in the pict as the engine is very frogiveing. I have ridden a friends piped and ported banshee in the oregon dunes and kept looping out hard as the swingarm needs to be extended for that steep stuff. Just depends on what the rider perfers, For that pict Id want the EX as the power delevery on a banshee is just to narrow and hard hitting for me.

Old 01-23-2001 | 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Philzie, What hill is that? It looks sort of like the "tit". I'm from that areaand there are some pretty big hills around there. Anyway, the 400EX is an excellent climber. You just have to make sure to lean forward a little because if you don't, it will ride a wheelie all the way up the hill. I haven't found a hill yet that i couldn't easily climb.

Old 01-23-2001 | 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

I just got my 400ex a month ago, and it is a very nice bike. I have always had 2 stroke bikes, so for me it is a very rough conversion. From what I have experienced so far on my 400ex they are very light in the front, and hook hard in the rear. If I was to climb the hill in that pick, I would remove my seat, and mount it on the front bumper.LOL

Quick Reply: 400ex at hillclimbing?