Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

For you Recon guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 04:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe most of you already know about this, but a couple times last summer while poking around the trails the cooling fan on our Rancher came on. OK so far, but I always wondered if the Recon was cooking in the meantime.
It's a well-made, great little quad, so I figured an investment to protect the motor was worth it. Service Honda has the factory oil temp kit for $89. It's actually called the "hitch kit" and comes with the dash warning light, an alarm unit that clips to a bracket on the frame, and the sensor which screws into a tapped hole in the engine case, all attached to the necessary wiring harness. And the bolt-on hitch of course.
It's easy to install, but took a couple hours, for me at least. I didn't need to remove the front fenders like they recommend but if you have big arms and hands it'd be tight worming the harness and making connections.
Now, how about that oil cooler they put on the 250EX? Same motor, bolt on? Might be a good idea in hot weather.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I like the way you think, instead of living with the problem and causing yourself more grief you have solved the problem and shared it with others. we need more people like that.
I also have just purchased the engine light kit and its not really that big of a deal, like Gooch said it only takes about 1 h to install and can save you a whole lot of trouble in the long run.
I think its a excellent investment for Recon riders. prolongs your oil life too

1998 Honda Recon, Sur tracks on Itp aluminum, UNI air filter
www.geocities.com/hondapride_98

Old 01-22-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Gooch,

Have you ridden over at Frog lake yet? During the winter its open to snowmobiles & quads. I think we are going up this weekend.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

snowshark,

Ain't been to Frog Lake. Sounds like maybe some snow & mud? Is it accessible with a 2wd truck?
This weekend a former coworker who has a Timberwolf is supposed to show us Brown's Camp (I think that's what it is) somewhere near Forest Grove, Or--mud & trail cruising I guess, and it's not too far away. Should be fun for us--so far we've only been to dry, dusty places or the dunes. Maybe we'll get stuck! Then I'll wish I would've bought that Superwinch 1500 close-out at GI Joe's for $119 last year.

Old 01-23-2001, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

How much was the oil light kit?Thanks

Old 01-23-2001, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

paulgp--

I assume you're asking if the light is available separately? If you go Honda it looks like the Hitch Kit is the only way. The circuit at any rate would have to be tied into the harness somewhere--you couldn't just put in a sensor and a light for instance. I don't know if Honda's sensor is in effect a variable resistor which requires the alarm unit to translate or if it's just an off/on switch which would only need chassis power I guess? I was going to ground the sensor connection to test the light but thought better of it--didn't want to fry something. You electronic wizzes out there would know better than me.
Honda is no doubt making a profit on this setup, but if at all possible I'd rather go with factory stuff rather than piecing together odds and ends. Besides, now with the hitch I can rescue all those Rubies from the mud!

Old 01-23-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Gooch,

We are taking the wife Recon to Frog lake & its 2wd. Frog lake is easy access, its just off 35 south of Mt. Hood.

We haven't been to any of the riding areas in the Tillamook forrest. I want to get a map ofthe area, they are free if you get from park headquarters in forrest grove.

Do you have stock tires or mud tires on your Rancher?