Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No Fuel Injection For Yamaha YFZ in 09!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Fuel Injection For Yamaha YFZ in 09!

This is good news, and bad news. Good news is, we won't have the Yamaha guys thinking that they are all that, the way they would if it had been reality. But, competition is good, and if Yamaha had come out with something, that would force Honda's hand to get something developed as well.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm kinda glad alot of those yamaha guys were sure making it sound like they were going to have one superior yfz in 09 but nothing happend.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:58 AM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think the YFZ didnt get the upgrades this year because of many variables in the sport market that didn't exist this time last year.

As for EFI in particular, the longer delayed the better. EFI may be easier to use and more reliale in SOME ways, but it simply isn't a requirement to remain competitive in the 450 class. And the "easier thumb throttle" plea that I see posted everywhere makes me wonder why someone would pay more money for a fuel injected version based on this when they can accomplish the same thing in the shop for under 40 bucks on the current model.

The TRX and YFZ are toe to toe in sales each and every year. And all the other guys combined don't equal even half of the numbers sold of the TRX and YFZ. Goes for Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc, etc. Numbers are readily provided by both Honda and Yamaha reps that prove this.
The KTM is pretty much the choice these days for people who can afford one,..and find one. But as far as it being any threat to the TRX or YFZ,...it poses less a threat than even the other Jap brands because KTM does not have the production capabilities to pump in more than a couple thousand units over here each year....and thats including both the 450 and 525 models.

Many were claiming that the "new" YFZ is to have an aluminum frame as well. Just like the EFI, I think this would be a terrible move. Cannondale (ATK), Kawsasaki, and CanAm have already broke ground with that and none of those combinations get any fanfare whatsoever as being great handling machines. The Cannondales were closer to being right than the others because they had Tim Farr in on thew design and R&D, but they were still way off from competing with a steel frame. An aluminum framed quad takes big buck suspension to work right and constant changes are needed when switching from one terrain to the next for optimal performance. The same is needed on the current steel we are using, but the aluminum is much more finickier and takes more know how.

The Raptor hybrid chassis is the best of both worlds but you really get nothing but a nice looking frame out of the deal because we have already learned that the 700 chassis is actually heavier than the old 660 chassis due to the extra fasteners and the required bulky subframe. No worthy benefit whatsoever.

For me, a better YFZ would have a slightly heavier flywheel for better bottom end response, lower the footpegs by about a half inch, and would have work done to reduce engine vibrations. They can keep the rest as is.

But sadly, for me anyway, the next YFZ will have the EFI because Bill Ballance is at the track every time out boasting about it and that the rest of the machine is totally new and cutting edge as well. When we will see it on the showroom floor may have to do with what Honda has up it's sleeve for the TRX450R.

So, in closing of this long and winding post of mine, I say this.....

Maybe it's Yamaha actually waiting on Honda this time and not the other way around as it's been for the last 6 years.