Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX250EX help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX250EX help!!!

Ok folks, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new TRX250EX for my youngest boy. I looked at all the other makes/models etc. He would like to have a Yamaha raptor 250, but I am rejecting that idea for a few reasons. First, he isn't ready for all that power. Second, the Honda has reverse. Third, it has a semi automatic clutch so he can learn how to use a clutch without running the risk of stalling it.

I want to know a couple things from you all out there though.

1) are there any reasons that I should avoid this machine? (Don't care about power, I want to know if there are mechanical flaws)
2) Anyone experience carb problems with theirs? (Am going thorugh fits on his Raptor 80, and do not want a repeat experience)
3) Is this a decent machine that he can learn on and have fun with until he gets to the point where he uses it to it's fullest and really needs something bigger?
4) Does this model have the ability to throttle it down?
He is transitioning from a raptor 80, so this is a big jump in capability and power.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRX250EX help!!!

first off how old is he.........i got my daughter 1 when she was 13...and she still loves it.....when she ride that is shes 16 now

it will run great and give you no problems.....her is and 06 and i did have to put a battery in it.......ofter than that is has run with no problems

its and 06....and yes the sport clutch is great for learning i make her use the clutch

no carb problems it starts better than any honda ive seen........any temp

Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default TRX250EX help!!!

I'm 16 i just sold an 2005 250ex to buy a 400ex. I had my 250ex for 3 yrs and the only thing that I did to it was change to oil and put gas in it. About a month after i had the spark plug went bad, but we think that it was probly just a bad plug from the start. That quad i only had to use the choke one time in the 3 yrs i had it, every snow fall i would pull it out it would start perfect. I went from a xr70 dirt bike to it and i never had a problem learning on it. I dont think that you could throttle it down, but im not positive on the new ones. But if you are looking for a good quad for a kid that would be the one. Adult can ride them, my dad is about 240lbs and he rode it all the time. Quad has plenty of power. I loved my 250ex, i would have keep but i got to big for it and i had to have a 400.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRX250EX help!!!

The 250EX is a dead solid reliable machine...absolutely no problem there. The one thing the EX has going for it, is that it is based on the Recon utility, so it has relatively high ground clearance, and shaft drive which is nice if you are in the water a lot. It will certainly do anything a 2wd utility will do, and lots of other things that only a sport quad can do.

Ironically, this is also what holds the EX back! The rear end can only have limited travel, because of the shaft drive design.

If a chain drive will work for you in your riding conditions, I say get the Yamaha and just teach him to use a clutch! I think it probably has a throtle limiter on it, so to much "power" shouldn't be an issue. It is lighter than the EX as well, and lighter is always safer! It also has better suspension, and better suspension makes it safer as well. Plus, he is less likely to get bored quickly on the Yamaha!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRX250EX help!!!

I don't disagree with you that the Yamaha is an all around better machine, but he is just turning 13 and although that puts him outside the CPSC guidelines, I am not willing to jump from a raptor 80 to the raptor 250. Nothing to do with riding ablility, it has to do with me and his mother feeling a little more comfortable with the Honda's power or lack there of. In my book, reliability is tops, and I just feel he will adjust to it better.

When he gets to 16, then I am sure he will be ready for something better. This one will give him enough power to sling it around, he gets to shift gears and learn to use a clutch in a safe no stall environment. That is important. The last thing I want him to do is to get in a situation where he stalls it start rolling backwards down a hill etc. This way he at least will not stall it. As he gets used to it, it will get to be easier. Besides, the majority of our riding is on trails in the woods. Speed isn't an issue. I believe his next one will be a 4x4 Ute.

To be honest with you, I believe he is actually relieved with the choice. His older brother sort of pushed him at the Yamaha, and he is still a little hesitant to have all that power. Now that we took the decision out of his hands, he didn't have any issues with it.

Thanks to all who weighed in on the reliability issue. I am OK with the shaft drive and lack of ability to change things. If I need ot widen it, I'll use adapters. At this point, I think one less thing to maintain is a good choice. It is why I bought the 80 in the first place. I want a tank that he can ride and I don't have to spent a great deal of time maintaining.

I found out that I could buy either an 08 0r an 07. The 07 for some reason is 12 lbs lighter, and it has a slightly larger gas tank. I am told there are no differences but I guess that is just something to wonder about. The 07 is $500 cheaper though.

Anybody have any issues with the oil cooler? Not sure the 06 has one.. anyone out there know if the 07 and earlier has them? Any issues?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRX250EX help!!!

06 has an oil cooler and weve never had any problems..........we were out lastnight and i let a 13yr old ride my kids 250ex and he had never riden before......i explain everything to him and than stuck him in the middle of the group......with in 10mins he was riding and doing great.

i was very in pressed with the bike and him........the rev limiter helped him to know when to shifted and it keep his speed down.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRX250EX help!!!

I have an 01 (first one my dealer got in) and an 06 with sportclutch. Never had a problem with either one.

Got to say though that the stock tires are pretty lame. They are kind of rounded and balooney, and that makes it a little tippy, plus the front end pushes a little in turns. I put on some ITP Holeshot XC's that are on rims that are wider than stock and have a greater offset, so the quad ends up something like +3" wider...for a very nice increase in stability!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRX250EX help!!!

Thanks guys. I had already planned on the wider stance deal.... Good to know that I have not heard anyone have any major mechanical issues with it then. Honda isn't always cutting edge, but what they do come out with usually works very well.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Range Rover
Default TRX250EX help!!!

im 14 and i have a 07 recon 250, and really i think its a bit small for me
5'9" and 160lbs...
i would get the raptor if it has more power because i think they are all around better

Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default TRX250EX help!!!

I have a '02 250EX and love it. As everyone says, it's a very reliable quad, decent power and just down right fun. I'm 18 with a stance of 6' 1" and 150lbs. I can get mine to stand third gear wheelies stock. I would HIGHLY suggest it for a new quad.

Quick Reply: TRX250EX help!!!