Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trying to resurrect a '99 Honda Recon

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to resurrect a '99 Honda Recon

Hello All,

Just found your message board and feel like everyone is very helpful and might be able to give me a hand.

I have a '99 Honda Recon that has been sitting for a while, and I'm trying to bring it back without dumping too much money into it. If I do that I could just buy another on for all of the money, time, and work it would cost. I love to work on trucks and I'm hoping that some of that knowledge will carry over into this.

On to my first problem:

The motor is not locked up, and the transmission changes gears and the 4-wheeler rolls.

Pulling the cord turns the motor, but it doesn't start. When trying to start it electronically I just hear the starter and nothing else. It sounds like it's not receiving any fuel.

I haven't gotten into replacing any parts just yet because I don't want to waste anything on a lost cause. Any advice would be very helpful, and thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

Also, is there any aftermarket company that make all Black plastic for this quad? I want to powdercoat all metal parts and would love to have a black "body" for contrast and looks.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to resurrect a '99 Honda Recon

Well here goes. First thing is you have to get gas to the motor. Replace the fuel and air filters, and check the spark. I'd pull the tank and swish some gas in it and dump it to. Assuming you are getting gass to teh carb and you have spark, then it is time to attack the carb. If you don't have the first two, then fiddling with the carb is moot until you get that working.

If it has been sitting for a while, yo umay need to go whole hog and rebuild the carb including jets etc. The orifices are pretty small and if they get a piece of junk in them, it won't run...

If you manage to get everything going, you might follow all that up with greasing the bearings, looking at the brakes etc.

Good luck... Taking this to a dealer will cost you around $400 to $500 just for the carb and analysis. (Been there, done that)