Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Full System Exhaust For 400 ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full System Exhaust For 400 ex

Well I decided that I'm just going to spend the extra and go all out on the exhaust, so now is a whole different question, the full exhaust?! I've been lookin at Yoshi, they're more quiet but they are very distinct in sound. What are the other suggestions? I'm also going to throw on a k & n too so that should also help the stock quad in performance.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

My buddy has a yoshi. Just the silencer. Pulled the spark arrestor out of it and the thing sound amazing. Everyone thinks it's a 450 until you see him. Re-jet properly and it will be a world of diff from stock.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put on six of the 1 1/2 inch prefiltered inlets on the top of my airbox lid and you can feel it sucking air from under the seat. It was only $10. I think it made a huge difference.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: thebadman

I put on six of the 1 1/2 inch prefiltered inlets on the top of my airbox lid and you can feel it sucking air from under the seat. It was only $10. I think it made a huge difference.</end quote></div>

Agreed. I remove my lid and had one of the outerwear's on my filter and one that went over box. It does help tremendously in combination with a good exhaust.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has been that K&N's pass dirt. You can either learn from my negative experience, or ignore it and learn this lesson for yourself!

I highly suggest the ProDesign (ProFlow) adapter and foam filter instead! http://www.prodesignracing.com/

I run the EHS Racing airbox lid. It has an Outerwears cover that catches the big stuff, although if you run in the wet a lot, you may just have to keep the lid on. http://www.ehsracing.com/

If I had it to do again, I would do the FMF PowerBomb header, and one of the quiet Q mufflers. Stealth is good!

And of course a rejet!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

My experience has been that K&N's pass dirt. You can either learn from my negative experience, or ignore it and learn this lesson for yourself!
</end quote></div>

And let the debate begin in 3...2.....1.....

Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

</end quote></div>

What more can I say! I ran an Outerwears, the filters were brand new, more than well oiled, and properly sealed on the mount....plus I never let them get terribly dirty. Every time I would change, I would wipe the intake out with a clean white cloth, and there was always a film of very fine grit that came out.

It's your engines, folks. Play it safe or take your chances....

And let the debate begin in 3...2.....1.....</end quote></div>

Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Haha, ya. I used to be totally against them. I live in Oklahoma. We have some of the most fine sand in the country. My parents put a K&N on a truck they had. On the first oil change after the K&N Dad checked the filter as he always does and as you said, fine dust was inside. Of course it went directly in the garbage and no more have been purchased. Same story with my 400ex but, the filter visibly abused. Not taken care of at all.

I purchased my yfz about a year ago. It had the pro-flow kit with a brand new K&N when I bought it with outerwear. I clean it regularly and keep it oiled. To my surprise, so far it has worked very well. I was actually trying to catch it letting crap through so I could get pictures to show a local shop whose owner is a K&N fan.

So, I'm going to continue using them 1. because I can't find a foam filter that will fit the pro-flow adapter. (No of any?) 2. I still want the pics to prove it.

DANGIT reconranger I told you this was gonna go off topic! : )

Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I am just jumping my Newbie nose in to ask a question but, what would be better the looney tune or sparks x 6 big core exhaust?

My bike is being rebuilt now and I have a 416 11.5 to 1, +1 over sized valves, head port polished and shaved, hardened rockers, web 9i cam, web springs and retainers, h beam rod, Edelbrock 440 carb, k&n filter and cold fusion wet nitrous. until I get a new exhaust I have the older x6 exhaust but I want stainless since the coating burned off the one I have.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was hoping the pro flow kit would be brought up, because I was curious as to whether it was a crappy sales pitch or if it actually does seal that filter, so from what you all are sayin it sounds like I should def. buy that with my k & n, but my exhaust is still a toss up. By the way I've heard that looney tune exhaust is not worth buying, I've never heard one, but that's what I've been told.