Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250ex valve adj.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250ex valve adj.

Ok so i have a 02 250ex trying to adj the valves, and everytime i get it the the T mark where the rocker arms have a little play the fly wheel rolls down and i can never stay on the T. How do you prevent this? also i did try to turn the crank back the other way and hold it on the T but i dont think thats the right way to do it. and when i did adj the valves i used .005 inch feeler gauge and tightend the valves just a litte more then just a slight drag and now they tick worse?? maybe becasue i turned the crank back the wrong way (clock wise) and held it on the t mark i dont know?? help!!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 250ex valve adj.

On most models it's impossible to keep the "T" dead lined up (especially if you use the pull start to turn the engine) but it's fine as long as it's close .. I just watch remove the top cover and watch the valves , when the intake opens (moves down) then closes (moves up) then I watch for the " T " in the inspection hole ..

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default 250ex valve adj.

Instead of adjusting them both at the same time off the T mark, try adjusting them one at a time. With the valve cover off, rotate the crankshaft so the intake valve is closed and it's cam lobe is pointed directly opposite the valve. After adjusting the clearance then do the same for the exhaust valve.

Don't ajdust them tighter than spec. A little tappet ticking is normal when the engine is cold, then very slight ticking when warm. A hot engine will be the quietest because the tappet clearance is smallest due to the heat. That's why you don't want the clearance tighter than spec.

Good luck

Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250ex valve adj.

Ok thanks for your advice, but i have another problem. When ever i take off the valve cover the rocker arms are in the bottem and come off with the valve cover. I am also confused becasue in my manuel it shows both the valves and springs beside each other on the same side, mines not like that the valves are truned a little sideways faceing away from each other, and theres two access caps on top of the valve cover to reach the valves. Is this how i check them? also i never see the cam my motor is pushrod type.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250ex valve adj.

The EX has pushrods? It must have the same engine as the Recon then. If you have access caps, then its through those holes that you check the clearance and do the adjustment.

http://www.okpowersports.com/r...ges/biggunon250ex.jpg

Definitely the same engine as the Recon. Sorry, I thought it had a single overhead cam.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250ex valve adj.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: awhondaboy

Ok thanks for your advice, but i have another problem. When ever i take off the valve cover the rocker arms are in the bottem and come off with the valve cover. I am also confused becasue in my manuel it shows both the valves and springs beside each other on the same side, mines not like that the valves are truned a little sideways faceing away from each other, and theres two access caps on top of the valve cover to reach the valves. Is this how i check them? also i never see the cam my motor is pushrod type.</end quote></div>

yes you only remove the access caps and you can also try removing the spark plug to help you with the crank moving past the T mark.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 250ex valve adj.

Yes the EX uses inspection covers for the valves , just remove the 2 covers ..

This is the Recon style and the EX style ..

================================================== ==============================================