Now which used honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now which used honda

OK... I'm having trouble deciding...

One is a 1999 TRX 400 EX
It's red and looks really good in pictures for the year. No cracks, no bad scratches, no bent rims. You you can tell and the seller admits it has been ridden a lot. You can see the 'rub' on the frame around the shifter and under the a-arms. It's all stock including the front tires, except for renthal bars, Yoshi RS3 (slip on I think) and Kenda Dominator rears with good tread left. I have no idea how it is mechanically... have to drive 90 miles one way to find out, and I'm having trouble scheduling it. The only thing 'fishy' I see is that it has DG skids, but no skid under the swing arm at all.

One is a 2002 TRX 300 EX
It's yellow. I've seen it in person and it's in good shape. There is one small crack in the plastic, nothing bad. It has been ridden less I think. I has had a pipe on it, but it's back stock now. In fact it's all stock except nerfs and Razr tires on aluminum all the way around... 90% tread at least. It's local, it's tight, everything is good, I've ridden it and it checks out as far as I can tell.

I think I'd be happy with either, and price is not a consideration.

<u>400EX Pros</u>
More power
More suspension
More roomy
Better looks

<u>cons</u>
NO REVERSE (big one)
Far away
Needs skid plate
No nerfs
No Razr's

<u>300EX Pros</u>
Has Reverse
New Razr's
Nerfs
Is 'enough' in each category
More personal experience with them
Already checked it out
Close by

<u>Cons</u>
Less powerful
Less suspension
Less roomy
Needs help on looks

May be less aftermarket for it

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you guys think?
Anyone have or had both?

If the 400EX had reverse I think that would do it for me.
But I also think that a lot of it is that a dread a long drive towing a trailer for a 'maybe'.

Speaking of trailers, this will need to fit across the back of a 6 foot wide trailer.
Will the 400EX fit crossways like that?
I don't think my Sport 400 will, nor do I want to try it as much as it weighs.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the 300EX

Dont kill yourself for a beat up 400

but a header, exhaust, jet kit, air filter and take the
air lid off your 300, and it will be plenty fast.

If you do woods riding, espec tight woods, again, 300ex

if you really want a 400, find another one

Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

oh shoot, you already have a polaris 400, the 400EX isnt going to cut it for you now anyway, so go with the more nimble tighter machine
youll be very happy and not just be switching from your ballsy roomy MORE suspension 2 stroke, to a 4 speed less ***** version,
tight woods man, youll love that 300's ability to squeeeeze

Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I disagree. The only advantage, if it is an advantage, is that the 300ex is smaller. With the pipe/filter the 400ex will be in a different league. The rub marks are nothing to worry about. They'll show up on any quad that is ridden through trails much at all and, as far as ride time on them, don't think it really matters because, both of those things will run forever.

I agree that 90 miles is a ways to travel for a maybe but, personally I wouldn't even consider the 300ex.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

whatever, I have a 300ex its a sick machine
I also have a scrambler 400, which EATS 400ex's
it doesnt stop me from loving the 300

Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

whatever, I have a 300ex its a sick machine

I also have a scrambler 400, which EATS 400ex's

it doesnt stop me from loving the 300</end quote></div>

Right, but that 400ex with pipe and filter would kill that 300ex. Suspension just as good (which is not very) and it is much more comfortable. Why would you go for a 300ex over a 400ex? I mean a few inches in trails? Never had a trail that tight that I wanted to go thru anyway.

As far as the scrambler, I no why it don't stop you from loving the EX. They are heavy and very top heavy. Not good for trails. That is neither here nor there anyway we are talking about 400ex or 300ex.

Not saying 300ex is a bad machine man I'm saying that the there are not many reason for choosing it over a 400ex. I mean if you get a good deal and don't want to travel fine but, if that doesn't matter to you and money doesn't matter. Why?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

why dont you just buy my 04 trx 450r it already has an air filter, h bomb header, fmf factory 4 exhaust and a modified air box lid, and the best thing it has less than 30 hours on it, im dead serious. you will smoke anything else out there, say good bye to 660 and 700 raptors, and you will be at the same level as all the other 450's, depending how well you can ride. come on man, its call your name!!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

i have both of them a 2000 300ex and a 2001 400ex, they are both very good quads we have never had any problems out of them. We bought the 300 new and only have put rear brakes, spark plug, and changed the oil. I bought the 400ex about 3 months ago. I love it, the only thing is no reverse. I think that the 300 is a little easier to get throught the trails from its size, and it has plenty of power. I think that the 400 are geared a little high in low gear, but i change the sprockets and it help. But all in all they are both very good dependable quads, you will no go wrong with either of them.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I never thought the scrammy as top heavy,
just heavy in general, but its a big 4x4 american sport quad, and its
really not that heavy anyway as long as you have sume muscle.

I started out on an 86 Suzuki quadsport 230,
that was a tiny little lite sport machine

I couldnt wait to ditch it for the scrambler

(Actually , i had an 84 rokon trailbreaker as an inbetween [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

If you know the 300ex is in great shape, youve already ridden it, and you trust the seller, i dont see how you can go wrong.

of course the 400ex is faster and a little bigger, but you really wont miss it,
you are trail riding right? not racing or anything or sand duning?

if you are get the 400, or wait for a closer/better one

you already have a Big ,fast 400 with great suspension
the 400 isnt going to be faster than your sport..

P.S.
there is a huge 300ex aftermarket

Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ThePunisher06

why dont you just buy my 04 trx 450r it already has an air filter, h bomb header, fmf factory 4 exhaust and a modified air box lid, and the best thing it has less than 30 hours on it, im dead serious. you will smoke anything else out there, say good bye to 660 and 700 raptors, and you will be at the same level as all the other 450's, depending how well you can ride. come on man, its call your name!!</end quote></div>

I love the old 450R's...

If I could just stick a 2nd gen 400EX motor w/reverse in that chassis I might be in love.

Quick Reply: Now which used honda