Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Converting to footshift from ES

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to footshift from ES

Hi,
A neighbor has a couple of Ranchers with ES shifting that he is selling. I know it's very simple.....when it works. I've seen too many of these thing have to go to the shop to get them to work again. We live in the middle of nowhere in Baja California. Very hard to get parts down here. I want to buy one of the neighbors quads but only if I can get the thing to shift when the ES goes out again. Is the conversion a simple process? I won't really look at the bike till tomorrow. Any other issues that converting bring up?
Thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To do it right, front engine cover, foot shift shaft, wire harness, left hand switch assembly.
Front engine cover to get rid of the gearshift motor and gears (otherwise you will be fighting the electric shift motor every time you shift)
Footshift shaft and shifter would have to be installed. rear cover on the engine will have to be removed to install this shaft. rear swingarm removal or engine removal required
Wire harness and ECU are different between foot and electric shift.
Left hand switch assembly to get rid of the shift buttons.
Also, an updated fan controller and wire harness may be required. (Foot shift models do not have fans, electric do) So you may have to horse around with that stuff if the ecu and harness were to be changed

If only a footshifter were mounted to existing shaft, each time the unit were shifted the display would flash as well as you fighting sluggish shifting.

I suggest buying the unit, order the most current shift angle sensor from Honda for the quad, and ride it until a electric shift issue occors, use the emergency shifter until problem parts are ordered and installed.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I was hoping only having to put on a shifter, but what you say makes sense. The quad shifts right now, but I know if it can screw up it will. I might just look for another!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

Gimpster,

My foot shift rancher has a cooling fan. Do i have a rare combo?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

Gimpster,
Correction on the fan part, Both my 07 Rancher TRX420FM and my buddy's 08 Rancher also foot shift have Electric fans. No its not a rare combo the engines are liquid cooled with radiator so it needs the fan or the engine over heats and takes a crap with out it. (Unless) we are talking about some older Rancher ES I have no clue?