Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1999 300EX turning way to tight, Suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 300EX turning way to tight, Suggestion?

Hi,

I got my son a used 1999 300ex several months ago and today he went out to ride and the turning is way too tight. He said he didn't wreck and I don't see any visible evidence he has and nothing is obviously bent or broken.

I'm not familiar with working on ATV's but what I can tell you is that all the front end suspension was just replaced before we purchased it. He's rode a decent amount since we got it with no issues and not hard or in much dirt or muddy condition either. Mostly just wet grass as the harshest environment. I put the front in the air on a floor jack and everything in the suspension and steering/tie rods etc seems ok and not binding. It seems to me in the steering stem is where it's binding?

Before I dug into the steering stem to investigate... I figured I'd ask for help, as there seems to be lots of wires, hoses, and plastic to deal with. It turns to the right a bit then stiffens up and it's stiff to the left completely even when it's in the air on the floor jack.

Is that a common failure and a known fix?

Any suggestion (with a bit of detail about what your talking about) and where/how to locate/work on it would be awesome. I may not know the technical names for many of the parts on the machine.

I'm a wrencher but just never worked on ATV's.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update...

I just took both tie rods off and the steering is still just as stiff. Seems for sure in the stem.

What are common failure spots in this area that would cause the stiffness?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Final update:

I dug into the steering column and found the lower bearing was seized and full of fine rust. Maybe wet grass riding is hard on the machine than I though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Parts are about $30-$50 and are as follows from the top down:

- Upper seal
- Wrist clip holding bearing (Did not see this at first w/all the rust)
- Sealed bearing
- Lower seal
- Bushing

Some hints for anyone else trying to do this job.

Steps:
1) Remove lower bolt from steering column.
- I had my son help hold the bars while I was under the ATV getting it loose.
- There is a bushing that should also come out.
- If it doesn't it will when you pull the column out later.
2) Remove plastic around gas cap.
3) Remove next piece of plastic around tank and front of ATV.
- My ignition is in this piece and I just left it in and dangled the plastic off to the side.
4) Take 4 bolts off handlebar goose neck so the handle bars are totally free.
- This allows for later enough room on all the cables to slide when you pull the steering column out.
- It was a bit tricky but I was able to free my bars w/out taking the whole head light assembly off also.
5) Take 4 bolts out of upper rubber steering column bushing and remove front and back bushing block.
6) Remove and inspect split rubber bushing for wear. Replace if needed.
- Mine looked like long ago it might have had some grease in/on it but it was still in pretty good shape once I cleaned both it and the column up where it sits.
7) Remove left and right tie rods from steering column.
8) Pull steering column out of bearing.
- I had my son pull up on the goose neck while I folded the loose handle bars upside down and help the wires and cables make room for it to raise.
- The column will be loose enough that you can set the column back down behind the bearing housing.
- That lower bushing fell off at this point that sits between the bolt and bearing.
9) Remove upper seal.
10) Remove Wrist clip holding bearing in.
11) From bottom, tap out bearing.
- I used the bushing and then a 3/8 extension end against the bushing as the female end of extension was about the same size as the bushing to tap the bearing all the way out.
12) Remove lower seal.
13) Reverse to put back together.

Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

wet grass would not rust them out that fast.sounds like previous owner did a lot of creek riding. more bearings will be failing soon. pretty common on atvs though.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

Use fish tank silicone below and above the bearing to seal it from all moisture...

never will have that problem of a rusty bearing again..