Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

87 honda foreman 350d

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 honda foreman 350d

Bike started giving me problems starting........ after further review, going by my repair book, I thought I had it nailed down,
1/ replaced the plug
2/ replaced the coil
3/ replaced the spark plug wire

I can pull the plug and lay it on a grounding surface, crank the bike and there's no fire, UNTIL, you let off the starter button and just before it quits turning over, it'll spark one time-----

Any ideas???? I hate to throw a bunch of parts at it.

Thanks,,,

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tested the ignition components..?..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I was going by in the manual, it had some continuity checks and some ohm checks of all the different components, to me it all pointed towards the coil.------ but nope, still no worky!

Forgot to add, you can kick start it pretty easy, it just won't start using the battery / push switch.

Going to order a new "choke" , (starter valve set ). tomorrow along with a carb. gasket set, clean up the carb a little. That will help some, but the firing still has me confused.

Thanks for the reply

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Could be a voltage issue, have you checked to see what the voltage at your ignition (CDI?) box is while you are cranking the engine? Maybe you are losing the voltage needed due to weak battery, bad connection(s), bad/weak starter etc...

GlennS

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter could have bad brushes taiking voltage away from the ignition while cranking

----- gimpster -----

Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tres Leeches

Could be a voltage issue, have you checked to see what the voltage at your ignition (CDI?) box is while you are cranking the engine? Maybe you are losing the voltage needed due to weak battery, bad connection(s), bad/weak starter etc...

GlennS</end quote></div>

Good idea, I'll see if I can check the volts while cranking, --------- would you happen to know which terminal to hook to, and also, how much of a volt drop is to much, while cranking that is, I would have to guess 11 volts would be the cut off, but that's just a guess.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gimpster

Starter could have bad brushes taiking voltage away from the ignition while cranking

----- gimpster -----</end quote></div>

Had the starter rebuilt here a while back, but I'll check that also, -----

Thanks

Anymore ideas, anybody????????

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

I'm thinking CDI since the plug fires when you stop cranking. If you think it's low voltage use the kick starter and see if the spark plug fires or as we used to do push start it. If you don't have any luck with that I'd really check out the CDI.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pull-do

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tres Leeches

GlennS</end quote></div>

Good idea, I'll see if I can check the volts while cranking, --------- would you happen to know which terminal to hook to, and also, how much of a volt drop is to much, while cranking that is, I would have to guess 11 volts would be the cut off, but that's just a guess.

Thanks</end quote></div>

No, I don't know what the cut-off voltage would be for the CDI to fire, I was hoping someone else might chime in that does know.

One thing you could try is jumping it from a car battery, I don't know if I would jump it from a running vehicle, but just a fully charged car battery would have ample power to start it. This would help you determine if it is a battery issue...

Have you gone through and checked/cleaned all of your battery connections? Ground connections?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, back on it after a slight 2 month delay------- I have a new battery in the bike, good and hot, still no fire while cranking until you let off the starter button then it fires ONE time just before the motor stops turning over, ----- just like before.

So I took a jumper cable straight from the + side of the battery to the starter and turned on the key, it fires every revolution doing it like that, (not using the starter button) just like it should. WTH !!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Took the handlebar switch assembly apart, everything seems to be fine, got to be somethng down stream in the wiring, you think? But what? I've done all the checks as previsouly stated on the CDI in the manual, everything within the limits, still can kick start, it'll fire everytime, just not while cranking [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 87 honda foreman 350d