Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking to buy a Honda. What is the Best Model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Honda. What is the Best Model?

Personally I think the Rubicon is Honda's best model for what we use it for. Mainly because of the transmission. We have put 6000 miles on our 05 Rubicon and so far no problems with the transmission. It has been very reliable. I think the Rubicon transmission is better for trail riding than the Rincon. The Rincon is just geared to high.

Everybody says that Honda's are only a 3wd machine. If all four wheels are on the ground, all four spin. I have never been in a situation where I needed a locker and I have been in some rough stuff.

As for the ride, solid axle is rougher than independent suspension but it is not that bad. I have heard Polaris has the best ride. I have never driven one so I wouldn't know about that.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: angler

Personally I think the Rubicon is Honda's best model for what we use it for. Mainly because of the transmission. We have put 6000 miles on our 05 Rubicon and so far no problems with the transmission. It has been very reliable. I think the Rubicon transmission is better for trail riding than the Rincon. The Rincon is just geared to high.

Everybody says that Honda's are only a 3wd machine. If all four wheels are on the ground, all four spin. I have never been in a situation where I needed a locker and I have been in some rough stuff.

As for the ride, solid axle is rougher than independent suspension but it is not that bad. I have heard Polaris has the best ride. I have never driven one so I wouldn't know about that.</end quote></div>

One ride on a Sportsman and you will take back that statement! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

So let me get this straight. You want to get rid of your Polaris because it MIGHT break?? That's true for any quad. While I like Honda ATVs, I don't think they're the best for navigating mudholes. I wouldn't recommend one without a winch. You'd be fine then. The transmissions in the Rubicons are nice but if the angle-sensor goes bad, it sucks. That hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) but it doesn't sound very fun based on what I've read in this forum.

I've changed drive belts on a Polaris ATV before and it is real easy. Removing the transmission belt cover is the only reason to use hand tools for the job. Replacing the actual belt can be done by hand and takes only a few minutes. Just carry an extra belt with you on the trail.

Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck on your choice.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I don't really care about mudding. even though it sounds so very fun I guess i'm not into that stuff. I like to cruise around on the trails at about 35-40 but thats really the only top speed i go. One thing I absoulutly love though is acceleration. I love the feel of hitting the throttle and your entire body flies backwards. What honda would do that for me? Will the rincon have enough power to head upsteep rocky inclines? All i want is a tough, reliable, maintenence free, fast accerating atv. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Rubicon is a great machine, but for thrilling acceleration you'd probably want something larger. Haven't driven a Rincon so couldn't tell you. Check out the reviews on YouTube from Doug Meyer at ATV Television on the Hondas.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: overthehillsgangATVer

I don't really care about mudding. even though it sounds so very fun I guess i'm not into that stuff. I like to cruise around on the trails at about 35-40 but thats really the only top speed i go. One thing I absoulutly love though is acceleration. I love the feel of hitting the throttle and your entire body flies backwards. What honda would do that for me? Will the rincon have enough power to head upsteep rocky inclines? All i want is a tough, reliable, maintenence free, fast accerating atv. Any suggestions? Thanks</end quote></div>

By the sounds of it you should be looking at a Honda 700xx that should do everything that you want it to do as you wont need a 4x4 for that type of riding!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd say the Rincon has adequate acceleration, but not thrilling. It has enough power to go up anything until it either digs it's self into a hole or tries to flip over backwards, though.

Anyway, if you want thrilling power in a 4x4, I suppose you'd be looking at the Thundercat, or an Outlander 800 or something along those lines.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Look at the new 2009's on the honda site, there is a Rancher 420AT, 5speed auto tranny, IRS for great ride, and power steering, looks like a nice bike.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris will provide a much better ride (with the exception of the rincon in some situations) but has poor reliablilty. If you want the best of both worlds get a Yamaha, or Can Am.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

I don't like the belts though. What kind of problems have occured with the rincon? the rubicon? what do people dislike about them? thanks

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Honda. What is the Best Model?